Home News Featured News S. Iswaran: No time for blame game after cyberattack

S. Iswaran: No time for blame game after SingHealth cyberattack

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

In Parliament yesterday, Minister for Communications and Information spoke about how the network’s last month were traits of a “class of sophisticated cyberattackers” who deployed what was known as an “advanced persistent threat” (APT) attack.

He also said that while the attack fit the profile of certain known APT groups, which are typically state-linked, “for national security reasons, we will not be making any specific public attribution”.

The SingHealth took place on July 4 and had accessed personal data and medical records of 1.5 million patients.

During the session, Non-Constituency MP Daniel Goh asked Mr Iswaran if the government would be looking into whether there was any negligence on SingHealth’s part. To this, Mr Iswaran said that the Committee of Inquiry (COI) convened would look into the factors behind the attack as well as what could have been done.

However, he added “I would urge members to refrain from going down the path of allocating blame at this point”.

- Advertisement -

While a blame game would hardly add any value to on-going investigations by the COI, as Mr Iswaran said, a cyber attack like this “can disrupt essential services and affect public welfare and confidence”. In a time where people seek answers and solutions, a lack of information does nothing to assuage their fears.

Mr Iswaran also added that based on a detailed analysis by Singapore’s Cyber Security Agency (CSA), the SingHealth hackers made use of “advanced and sophisticated tools, including customised malware that was able to evade SingHealth’s anti-virus software and security tools”.

“After establishing a foothold in the network, the attacker took steps to remain in the system undetected before stealing the patients’ information,” he said.

While a report from the COI will be submitted by December 31, not all the information will be accessible to the public.
Chair of the COI former senior district judge Richard Magnus said, “As some aspects of the inquiry have security implications, the COI will decide which part of its hearings can be held in public”.

Discerning netizens were sceptical of Mr Iswaran’s speech, and felt that they were not being told the entirety of the incident.

As for now, many Singaporeans just want answers as to what may come of this data breach, and of the measures taken to minimise the existing damage done. A lack of information only serves to exacerbate worry amongst people.

________________________________________________________________________

obbana@theindependent.sg

Please follow and like us:
Tweet
Share
- Advertisement -

No year-end bonus for civil servants; lower-wage staff to get one-off S$1,200

The Public Service Division (PSD) announced yesterday (27 Nov) that civil servants will not receive a year-end bonus payment and that lower-wage staff will receive a one-time payment of S$1,200, in view of the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. In a...

Netizens ask why some employers demand to see PSLE results if they are not defined by scores

Responding to Education Minister Lawrence Wong's advise to 12-year-olds that they are not defined by their Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) results, some netizens have asked why some prospective employers demand to see job applicants' PSLE scores if what he said...

“A genius cut down by drugs” — K Shanmugam pays tribute to Diego Maradona

Singapore -- Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam paid tribute to football legend Diego Maradona, who passed away on Wednesday (Nov 25), and called him a "genius cut down by drugs" in a social media post on Thursday (Nov 26).   Maradona...
Please follow and like us:
Tweet
Share
Follow Me
Tweet