Home News Malaysian Home Minister stresses need for 3rd link between JB and SG...

Malaysian Home Minister stresses need for 3rd link between JB and SG due to traffic congestion

Tan Sri Muhyiddin said that this link could either be a tunnel or a bridge and that he has already told the federal government of this necessity

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Iskandar Puteri— Malaysia’s Home Minister, Muhyiddin Yassin, emphasised the need to build a third link that would link Johor Baru with Singapore in order to ease the heavy traffic on the Causeway. He said this at the Johor state assembly on Monday, November 25.

The Home Minister is the chairman of the Special Committee on Congestion at the Johor Causeway.

According to Bernama, Malaysia’s national news agency, Tan Sri Muhyiddin said that this link could either be a tunnel or a bridge and that he has already told the federal government of this necessity.

The Home Minister said, “If the state government supports this, I will ensure this initiative be started.

Before, we used to have only one bridge. Then we had two bridges and now these two can no longer cope,” since congestion often builds up at the Second Link in Tuas as well as at the Causeway.

Mohd Solihan Badri, the state Public Works, Transport and Infrastructure Committee chairman, said that the Home Minister’s proposal for building the third link is a step in the right direction.

- Advertisement -

Bernama reports him as saying that the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex at Bangunan Sultan Iskandar, built in 2003, would have reached its full capacity by 2020.

The Home Minister echoed Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Tun Mahathir Mohamad, who also recently called for a third link to connect Malaysia and Singapore, due to a large number of vehicles going back and forth between the two countries.

In related news, late last month, Malaysia confirmed its decision to proceed with the construction of the Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link project that connects Johor Bahru and Singapore.

On October 31, Dr Mahathir confirmed in a press conference that the RTS Link would indeed be constructed. Work on the link would resume without further delay, he added, and that the link would be built with a cost cut of 36 percent, “from RM4.93 billion to RM3.16 billion.”

The link was originally planned in order to reduce the heavy traffic on the Johor Causeway and connect Singapore to the Southern Economic Corridor Iskandar Malaysia. The agreement to build the link had been signed between the Government of Singapore and the administration of then Prime Minister of Malaysia, Najib Razak, who lost his bid for re-election in the May 2018 elections.

The project was put on hold when Dr Mahathir began his term, as his administration evaluated the currents and their corresponding costs.

For a time, whether the project would continue or not was uncertain, since in May the two countries agreed to suspend works on the link until September 30. And in September, another month was added to the suspension with no extra cost.

But Dr Mahathir had already confirmed earlier in the month that his government would push through with the project, when the Malaysian Government launched its National Transport Policy in Kuala Lumpur on October 17.

Even earlier,  Lim Guan Eng, Malaysia’s Finance Minister, also said that the Government “intends to proceed” with the link when he tabled the national budget for next year. -/TISG

Read related: Khaw Boon Wan: JB-S’pore RTS Link set to proceed, but suspension extended to April 2020

Khaw Boon Wan: JB-S’pore RTS Link set to proceed, but suspension extended to April 2020

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Calvin Cheng cautions: “The PAP needs to remember how to be a political party”

Singapore -- Former Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Calvin Cheng took to social media to say that the era of Lee Kuan Yew-style politics was over. In a Facebook post on Tuesday (Apr 13), Mr Cheng wrote about politics in Singapore. “For half...

Those who recover from Covid-19 may be at risk for blood clotting: S’pore study

Singapore – According to a study by the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), people who have recovered from Covid-19 may face risks of blood clot formation due to an overactive immune response. Covid-19 patients, especially those with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions, may be at...

Tan Cheng Bock and Goh Chok Tong were apparently from the same CCA in RI

Singapore -- Known to have been close friends once, Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Goh Chok Tong recently attended the same scouting event at Raffles Institution, indicating that they were likely from the same CCA as well. In a Facebook post...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent