Home News Featured News Mahathir confirms JB-Singapore RTS Link will resume without delay with 36% cost...

Mahathir confirms JB-Singapore RTS Link will resume without delay with 36% cost cut

The RTS Link project was initiated to reduce the intense cross-border congestion on the Johor Causeway and link Singapore to the Malaysia’s Southern Economic Corridor Iskandar Malaysia

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed confirmed today (31) that the construction of the Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link between Johor Bahru and Singapore will resume without further delay and that the project will be built with a 36 per cent cost cut.

He said: “The cost of the project has been reduced by 36 per cent from RM4.93 billion to RM3.16 billion.”

The RTS Link project was initiated to reduce the intense cross-border congestion on the Johor Causeway and link Singapore to the Malaysia’s Southern Economic Corridor Iskandar Malaysia. The deal was originally drawn up between the Singapore Government and the the Barisan Nasional administration, which was toppled in the 2018 Malaysian General Election.

Earlier this month, Dr Mahathir confirmed that Putrajaya will proceed with the RTS Link as the Government launched the National Transport Policy in Kuala Lumpur on 17 Oct. Malaysia’s Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng also said the Government “intends to proceed” with the project as he tabled Budget 2020.

- Advertisement -

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Mixed bag: PA’s defensive statement denying racism allegations draws both criticism & support

Singapore—The People’s Association (PA) issued a rather belated statement concerning a wedding photo that had been used for a Hari Raya celebration without the couple’s permission, after the woman in the photo aired her views on social media. And while the PA...

Netizens wonder why Covid cases increase whenever SG-HK travel bubble is mooted

Singapore—If there’s such a thing as an unlucky travel bubble, then maybe the one planned between Singapore and Hong Kong is it. The Ministry of Transport (MOT) announced last Thursday (June 10) that Singapore and Hong Kong would resume discussions on the...

Kumaran Pillai shares racist incident where Indian woman was called ‘black monster’, ‘black girl’

Singapore -- The Progress Singapore Party’s (PSP) Kumaran Pillai shared an incident where an Indian girl wrote that she was called “black monster” in primary school. He added that there are two kinds of racists - an outright one, and one...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent