SINGAPORE: A former domestic helper took to social media asking if she would be allowed to marry a Singaporean man.

In an anonymous post to a support group for domestic helpers and employers, the maid said she visited the Manpower Ministry (MOM) website. She wrote that the marriage was subject to approval. She also wanted to know if her chances of a legal marriage would be higher if she had a child with a Singaporean man.  The helper then asked: “Will they be banned coming in to Singapore? Able to get married in SG? What are the chances of appeal to legalised married in SG if they have a child together?”

MOM states, “If you are a current or former Work Permit holder (including Training Work Permit holder) who wishes to marry a Singapore citizen or PR, you must apply for approval from MOM. However, you don’t need to apply for approval if:

  • You are now holding an EP or S Pass.
  • You once held an EP or S Pass as the last work pass you held in Singapore.
  • You are now a Singapore citizen or PR.
See also  Couple who abused helper and rubbed faeces on face, sent to jail

If you don’t seek approval when required to do so:

  • Your privilege to work in Singapore could be withdrawn.
  • You may be prevented from entering Singapore for a period of time.”

A netizen who commented on the helper’s post advised: “for a helper or WP holders (sic) to marry a local Sporean or PR, they must get the initial approval from MOM by submitting the application to marry. MOM will assess the qualification, age, career, income level, criminal record, etc of the local BF as well as the helper’s status before a decision can be made within 3 weeks or so.

However, with MOM’s approval does not mean you can straight away to get married and then qualify for ICA’s LTVP. after you got the MOM approval, u will need to submit the PMLTVP to ICA for assessment whether you qualify so as the reduce the leadtime from 6 months to 2 months. However, even you met the criteria of PMLTVP, there is no guarantee that even you got married with the ROM cert, the LTVP will be approved. The decision lie with ICA. That mean your WP cannot be converted to LTVP. Good luck”.

See also  MOM will not mandate domestic helpers to stay home on rest days

Earlier this year, netizens wanted to know if a woman working on a Work Permit can also give birth here. In a post to a support group for domestic helpers and employers alike, one woman wanted to know if her friend, who is married and holds a Work Permit as a domestic helper, was allowed to give birth in Singapore.

She wrote that her friend, working as a maid, married a Singapore citizen with the approval of the Manpower Ministry (MOM) and the consent of her current employers. However, the maid was now 4 months pregnant and seemed so without her employers’ knowledge. The woman asked in her post: “Do you think She Can Give birth in Singapore with Work Permit(MDW)?? Her employer will Notify MOM soon!!!”

Read related: Maid here on a Work Permit married a Singaporean guy, is now 4 months’ pregnant