Lifestyle Health & Fitness WHO says first alerted to by its office, not China

WHO says first alerted to virus by its office, not China

In that chronology, WHO had said only that the Wuhan municipal health commission in the province of Hubei had on December 31 reported cases of pneumonia. The UN health agency did not however specify who had notified it.

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

The World Organization has updated its account of the early stages of the COVID to say it was alerted by its own office in China, and not by China itself, to the first pneumonia cases in Wuhan.

The UN health body has been accused by US President Donald Trump of failing to provide the needed to the pandemic and of being complacent towards Beijing, charges it denies.

On April 9, WHO published an initial timeline of its communications, partly in response to criticism of its early response to the outbreak that has now claimed more than 521,000 lives worldwide.

In that chronology, WHO had said only that the Wuhan municipal health commission in the province of Hubei had on December 31 reported cases of pneumonia. The UN health agency did not however specify who had notified it.

- Advertisement -

WHO director Tedros Adhanom told a press conference on April 20 the first report had come from China, without specifying whether the report had been sent by Chinese authorities or another source.

But a new chronology, published this week by the Geneva-based institution, offers a more detailed version of events.

It indicates that it was the WHO office in China that on December 31 notified its regional point of contact of a of “ pneumonia” after having found a declaration for the media on a Wuhan health commission website on the issue.

The same day, WHO’s epidemic information service picked up another news report transmitted by the international epidemiological surveillance network ProMed — based in — about the same group of cases of pneumonia from unknown causes in Wuhan.

- Advertisement -

After which, WHO asked the Chinese authorities on two occasions, on January 1 and January 2, for information about these cases, which they provided on January 3.

WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan told a press conference on Friday that countries have 24-48 hours to officially verify an event and provide the agency with additional information about the nature or cause of an event.

Ryan added that the Chinese authorities immediately contacted WHO’s as soon as the agency asked to verify the report.

US President Donald Trump has announced that his country, the main financial contributor to WHO, will cut its bridges with the institution, which he accuses of being too close to China and of having poorly managed the pandemic.

- Advertisement -

The WHO denies any complacency toward China.

apo/lc/rma

© Agence -Presse

/AFP

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Nurse harassed by Sengkang neighbours granted protection order

— After being harassed by their neighbours for over a year, a Singaporean nurse has been granted an expedited protection order (EPO), providing him and his family “an overwhelming sense of relief.” Muhammad Najib bin Ngasewan, who works at Sengkang General...

Calvin Cheng asks people to stop blaming the government and foreigners for recent Covid-19 cluster

Singapore — In light of the recent KTV Covid-19 clusters that have cropped up in Singapore, former Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Calvin Cheng evaluated the factors leading to the spike in cases in a post he put up recently. He...

Jaguar F-Pace — The Delightful Big Cat

by Kannan Chandran www.storm-asia.com In the cabin of the Jaguar F- there’s a little sign that reads “1935 Jaguar Coventry”. It’s a look back at history for a brand that had its roots in English motoring. But a lot has changed since, as...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent