Home News Featured News MOM clamping down on errant contractors after worksite death

MOM clamping down on errant contractors after worksite death

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

SINGAPORE — The authorities have announced a three-week enforcement blitz against those who violate workplace safety and health (WSH) practices, as January saw its first construction-related death.

The MOM’s latest operation, which started last week, is to ensure contractors maintain their focus ahead of the festive period.

According to the ministry, January last year was marred by construction accidents, resulting in the death of eight workers, as contractors ignored safe practices to complete their work before Chinese New Year.

During the enforcement operation, inspections will be conducted at more than 200 worksites across the island. The inspections will cover a range of work areas, including formwork, work-at-heights and lifting operations.

- Advertisement -

The ministry said last year that accidents caused by lapses in Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) procedures, especially in the construction sector, remained a cause for concern. There were 17 construction fatalities in the first six months of 2014, up from 11 in the same period the year before.

This year’s first workplace fatality occurred last Friday, when a construction worker was killed while assembling formwork panels at Shimizu Corporation’s worksite along Alexandra Terrace. The company has been ordered to stop all such work while investigations are under way.

Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin said the ministry’s investigations into past accidents revealed that some contractors had cut corners in WSH practices to meet project deadlines.

“This is unacceptable. Every worker is entitled to a safe workplace; and every employer and occupier is obliged to provide that,” he added.

Under the WSH Act, companies that fail to take “reasonably practicable measures” to ensure the safety and health of their workers can be fined up to S$500,000 for a first offence.

MOM’s director of Occupational Safety and Health Inspectorate, Mr Chan Yew Kwong, said: “Errant contractors and employers with egregious WSH contraventions will face not only a thorough investigation and harsh penalties, but also corrective actions, including intensified monitoring, inspections and training requirements.”

news source & image credits: todayonline.com/ pixabay

HR NEWS in ASIA

Via:: MOM clamping down on errant contractors after worksite death

      Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Najib says bankruptcy notice meant to disqualify him from becoming next PM after survey ranked him as first choice

Kuala Lumpur—Former Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak claims the authorities are out to get him because a poll showed he is the frontrunner to become the head of state once again. His detractors want him to cease to be a...

Wheelchair-bound woman struggles getting in and out of home because of inconsiderate neighbours and no lift access

Singapore -- How does a wheelchair-bound woman move around when her HDB flat has no lift access? 43-year-old Coco and her 50-year-old husband have been living in an HDB apartment for 15 years, without a lift lobby on their floor. While this...

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce their first Netflix series

  The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's first project with Netflix will highlight one of the Duke's most passionate causes. Founded by Harry in 2014, the Invictus Games is the Paralympics-style competition for wounded service personnel and veterans. Harry and his wife Meghan...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent