Home News SG Politics Invite to Cheng Bock withdrawn

Invite to Cheng Bock withdrawn

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -
An invitation to former PAP MP and a contender  in the last presidential elections to the annual Chinese New Year party at  the Istana this Sunday has been withdrawn.

Tan Cheng Bock said in  his Facebook: “On 27 Dec 2013, I received an invitation from the People’s  Association to the CNY Istana party. I told them I will go with my wife as usual.

“Then on 8 Jan 2014, I was informed by Minister Lim Swee Say, deputy chairman of the PA, that this was an error. He conveyed this to me by phone and email. “There was a change in policy…(new policy  is)  to invite only those ex-advisers to grassroots organisations from  the immediate past GE  (2011). I did not fit into this category as I stood down in 2006.

“Since 1980, I had always been invited to attend the CNY  garden party and I never failed to go. I get to meet grassroots leaders and old  colleagues and we exchange warm New Year greetings.

“The warm reception  usually given to me by grassroots and leaders at the function was  overwhelming. At times, it was very touching. Last year, I had to be helped to  get back into my car because the crowd kept me from moving forward.

“I shall miss meeting all these friends there again this Sunday.”

Sad,  really sad.

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Goh Chok Tong says that as true friends with Tan Cheng Bock, “we will always have each other’s best interest at heart”

Despite a relationship that seemed to be fraught with political tension from the past year, Goh Chok Tong and Tan Cheng Bock met for dinner over the weekend. On Friday (Feb 19), former Emeritus Senior Minister (ESM) Goh posted on social media...

Prank orders in Joo Seng affects at least 12 delivery riders, police investigating incident

Singapore – The police are investigating a case of "intentional harassment" involving Foodpanda delivery orders sent to a Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat in Joo Seng after a resident highlighted a case of "prank orders" in social media. On Friday (Feb...

JTC issues stop-work order on contractor that ‘erroneously’ cleared Kranji woodlands

Singapore – The contractor that “erroneously” cleared a forested area at Kranji has announced it has been issued a stop-work order by JTC and is assisting the developer with investigations on the issue. On Feb 16, state-owned industrial property developer JTC responded...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent