Home News Featured News ESM Goh Chok Tong: Terror threat facing Singapore is "medium"

ESM Goh Chok Tong: Terror threat facing Singapore is “medium”

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has said that his personal assessment of the terror threat facing Singapore is a “medium” at the Marine Parade Emergency Preparedness Day yesterday.

The former Prime Minister’s comments come after the Ministry of Home Affairs detained two men and one women under the Internal Security Act earlier this month. Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim that the three detainees were self-radicalised a day after the arrests.

The arrests came a month after Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen revealed in October that seven times more Singaporeans were radicalised in the past year than the period before that.

According to the MHA, one of the detainees is a 38-year-old housewife called Amina. An ISIS supporter who harboured the intention to join ISIS in the conflict zone, Amina promoted pro-ISIS materials on social media to influence others to support the terror group.

- Advertisement -

Another detainee, Adzrul Azizi bin Bajuri, is only 19 years of age. The former full-time National Serviceman became radicalised after he was exposed to pro-ISIS propaganda online.

The last detainee, 25-year-old Abdul, was a member of the Jemaah Islamiyah – an extremist Islamic group based in the region

Urging Singaporeans to remain vigilant against any possible terror attack, Goh asserted that it is “everyone’s responsibility” to keep Singapore safe and secure and that the fight against terror is not just the responsibility of the authorities:

“If something happens … we … help one another because we are all Singaporeans, regardless of race or religion. This will happen only because there is trust between us.
“Whatever the threat may be to Singapore, we should be prepared, be vigilant (and) build up bonds.”

The veteran politician who presently serves as member of parliament for Marine Parade GRC also highlighted reports that militants in Batam had planned to launch rocket attacks on Singapore last year. He said at yesterday’s event: “It did not happen, but they were planning to.”

https://theindependent.sg.sg/minister-in-charge-of-muslim-affairs-urges-muslims-in-singapore-to-beware-of-pro-isis-material-online/Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Wheelchair-bound woman struggles getting in and out of home because of inconsiderate neighbours and no lift access

Singapore -- How does a wheelchair-bound woman move around when her HDB flat has no lift access? 43-year-old Coco and her 50-year-old husband have been living in an HDB apartment for 15 years, without a lift lobby on their floor. While this...

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce their first Netflix series

  The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's first project with Netflix will highlight one of the Duke's most passionate causes. Founded by Harry in 2014, the Invictus Games is the Paralympics-style competition for wounded service personnel and veterans. Harry and his wife Meghan...

S’pore to contribute S$27.7m to IMF for low-income countries coping with Covid-19, MPs show support

Singapore – Parliamentarians supported Singapore's US$20.57 million (S$27.7 million) contribution to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) initiatives to help the vulnerable and low-income countries cope with the Covid-19 pandemic. During a parliamentary sitting on Monday (Apr 5), members of Parliament (MPs) on...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent