Home News Ex-policewoman dies after being bitten by pet hamster

Ex-policewoman dies after being bitten by pet hamster

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

A former policewoman passed away unexpectedly last week after she was bitten by one of her pet hamsters. The mother of three daughters, between the ages of 2 and 10, had been trying to separate her two beloved pet hamsters that were fighting when one of the creatures bit her thumb.

The 38-year-old, Mdm Tan, later complained that she had numbness in her hand and her tongue. Mdm Tan was conveyed to a local hospital where she slipped into a coma and died last Friday (25 May).

Mdm Tan’s untimely passing is especially devastating since she was very fond of hamsters and frequently posted photos of her two hamsters on her Facebook page.

According to the Chinese daily, the cause of Mdm Tan’s death remains uncertain since an autopsy is pending. Doctors claim that it is rare for people to die from hamster bites since hamsters do not produce venom. One family doctor told the daily that Mdm Tan could possibly have died due to an allergic reaction to the bite, triggered by a pre-existing condition.Follow us on Social Media

- Advertisement -

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Cap of 5 people for social gatherings and household visits; Lawrence Wong warns of possibility of another circuit breaker

Singapore -- Octets out, quintets in. Social gatherings will be limited to five people, no more groups of eight. New restrictions are coming into place from May 8 to May 30 to curb the Covid-19 spike in Singapore. The new restrictions will take...

MOH asks hospitals to delay non-urgent surgeries to conserve resources for Covid patients

Singapore— With Covid-19 cases rising, the Ministry of Health (MOH) asked hospitals on Monday (May 3) to delay non-urgent surgeries and give priority to the treatment of Covid patients. In a statement, MOH said it is "working closely with all public and...

5 KTPH staff disciplined for ‘error’ that led to unnecessary treatment of breast cancer patients 

Singapore—Five staff members of Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) have been disciplined for a laboratory incident that led to inaccurate test results and unnecessary treatment for some breast cancer patients. The staff members were disciplined for "not adequately performing their duties and...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent