Asia Malaysia JUST IN: Malaysia Central Bank Governor to quit!

JUST IN: Malaysia Central Bank Governor to quit!

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

KUALA LUMPUR – The ‘reformasi’ government will not tolerate anyone who aided and facilitated the Najib Razak’s government in covering up the 1MDB scandal.

One potential victim of this push for reforms in the country’s institution is bound to be the Central Bank governor Muhammad Ibrahim.

Ibrahim came under the spotlight after new Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said in May that the previous administration had used money raised from a land sale to the central bank – valued at about US$520mil – to pay off some of the debts of 1MDB.

Bank Negara has said the purchase was transacted at fair value, but this explanation may not be sufficient to save Ibrahim’s head.

- Advertisement -

After taking power last month, Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad had said that ‘heads will roll’ after being asked by reporters what would be the consequence of the 1MDB scandal on people close to the former administration.

Muhammad was promoted to lead the central bank for a five-year term in May 2016 after Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz stepped down after 16 years.

He was endorsed by Zeti when she left as a successor able to provide policy stability.

According to The Malaysian Insight, Nor Shamsiah Mohd Yunus, the former Bank Negara Malaysia deputy governor, is tipped to succeed Muhammad Ibrahim in the top post, reports Reuters.

Nor Shamsiah left the central bank in 2016 and joined the International Monetary Fund.

Muhammad is said to have tendered his resignation today over his role in the RM2 billion land deal that critics slammed as a bailout for troubled 1Malaysia Development Bhd.

But the Ministry of Finance did not respond to queries on the rumours of the governor’s exit.

A Najib Razak appointee, he has been under severe pressure in recent days following pointed comments by the Council of Eminent Persons chairman Daim Zainuddin on the hastily put-together deal, said TMI.

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

MOH asks hospitals to delay non-urgent surgeries to conserve resources for Covid patients

Singapore— With Covid-19 cases rising, the Ministry of Health (MOH) asked hospitals on Monday (May 3) to delay non-urgent surgeries and give priority to the treatment of Covid patients. In a statement, MOH said it is "working closely with all public and...

5 KTPH staff disciplined for ‘error’ that led to unnecessary treatment of breast cancer patients 

Singapore—Five staff members of Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) have been disciplined for a laboratory incident that led to inaccurate test results and unnecessary treatment for some breast cancer patients. The staff members were disciplined for "not adequately performing their duties and...

MOH confirms 17 new Covid-19 cases, five linked to Tan Tock Seng Hospital cluster

Singapore -- The Ministry of Health (MOH) has preliminarily confirmed five new cases of locally transmitted Covid-19 infection that are linked to the cluster at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH). Tuesday (May 4) also saw another 12 imported cases. It is the ninth...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent