SINGAPORE: An employer took to social media asking if her helper’s address could be changed without her agent being notified. In a post to a social media support group for domestic helpers and employers alike, the woman wrote: “I would like to transfer my helper to under my father’s address. How do I go about without agent and I do not wish for my helper to notify agent”.

Netizens who commented on the post said to ensure her helper agreed to the change. Others also asked if changing the helper’s address also meant that her employer would change. “Change address to your father and it means she will work to that address . Do you move to your father’s place?,if not ..then it is not allowed to do that. The helper only works at the place where she’s employed(her employer’s residence)”, one netizen commented. Another netizen said it would be better to have the process done by an agency, but if the employer was sure, she needed to register the change with the Manpower Ministry (MOM).

See also  Maid says her employer going away for 2-week holiday didn't pay her salary, give her food allowance and money for medical checkup

According to the MOM:

“To transfer an MDW directly, both the new and current employers must carry out certain steps.

If you are the current employer, you need to:

  1. Send the helper for her 6-monthly medical examination if you have not done so.
  2. Log in to our FDW eService to approve the transfer request from the new employer. Please wait for the request which will be emailed to you before you log in to approve it.
  3. Pay levy up till the date the new employer issues the Work Permit.Once the new Work Permit is issued, the current one will be automatically cancelled and your levy billing will stop.
  4. Cut the cancelled Work Permit card in half and discard it to prevent misuse.

We will discharge the security bond 1 week after the helper starts working for the new employer. We will inform you of the discharge by post.

If you are the new employer, you need to carry out these steps in sequence. Note: The first 2 steps must be completed 30 days before the helper’s Work Permit expires.

See also  Domestic helper in Singapore steals over S$5,000 from employer, hides cash in lady parts

Check with the current employer that the helper has met all these conditions:

At least 30 days before the helper’s Work Permit expires, ensure the helper

  • Has completed her 6-monthly medical examination.
  • Is fully vaccinated.
  • Has a Work Permit that is valid for more than 30 days. If her pass is expiring, the current employer can submit a request to extend her Work Permit.

Submit an application. If the application is approved, we will email you the in-principle approval (IPA). Employers can also log in to our FDW eService to download the IPA and declaration form.

Prepare for helper’s transfer and get the permit issued”.