The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) released a statement and a warning to the Jurong-Clementi Town Council following reported malfunctioning of water hose reels.
The SCDF responded to a fire alert at a flat in Bukit Batok on Nov 1.
The fire broke out on the 13th floor of Block 210A Bukit Batok Street 21 at around 4:30 in the morning.
Three people were rushed to Singapore General Hospital to be treated for burn injuries and smoke inhalation.
The SCDF extinguished the fire using emergency vehicles.
The fire continued for around half an hour before firefighters extinguished it after 5:30 in the morning.
In their statement, the SCDF revealed that several hose reel cabinets were padlocked and the hose reels had no water supply.
“Town Councils are responsible for the maintenance and proper functioning of their estates’ fire safety measures,” SCDF said.
They conducted an inspection at the premises and issued the Town Council with a Fire Hazard Abatement Notice due to the non-functioning and padlocked water hose reel.
The Town Council must be responsible for proper compliance. Failure to do so upon the SCDF’s reinspection may warrant a fine or prosecution. /TISG
Follow us on Social Media
Send in your scoops to firstname.lastname@example.org