Home News Man dies in hospital after rushing back to rescue pets during Bukit...

Man dies in hospital after rushing back to rescue pets during Bukit Batok HDB flat fire

The fire victim had suffered third-degree burns on 40 per cent of his body and had been a coma




- Advertisement -

Singapore – On July 18 (Thursday) a fire broke out in an HDB flat at Bukit Batok. Three people were rescued and rushed to the hospital while around 70 residents were evacuated from the premises.

The fire, according to Member of Parliament, Murali Pillai, was caused by e-scooters left charging and unattended in the unit.

Read related: E-scooters left on charge mode causes fire in Bukit Batok flat

On July 20 (Saturday), one of the rescued residents passed away at the hospital.

- Advertisement -

According to a report by The Straits Times, the 40-year-old man and his wife, identified as Sam and Hui Xin, initially escaped the fire by climbing their air-conditioner ledge.

However, the man rushed back into the burning unit to save their dog and parrot.

He eventually fell unconscious near the toilet where he was found by firefighters.

The man was initially sent to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital but was transferred to Singapore General Hospital’s (SGH) intensive care unit where he was found to have suffered third-degree burns on 40 per cent of his body.

He was also in a coma and, unfortunately, did not recover from the injuries.

Residents shared that the couple had no children.

They also noted how the man was a friendly and cheerful neighbour and that he loved animals and had kept several parrots before.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said on Saturday that preliminary investigations have shown that the fire was accidental in nature although linked to the three burnt personal mobility devices found in the unit.

The SCDF added that fires caused by PMDs are on the rise.

There were 74 PMD-related fires in 2018 alone, which was a 51 per cent increase from 2017.

It is advised not to leave a PMD unattended while charging to ensure everyone’s safety. -/TISG

- Advertisement -

29-year-old inmate gets straight As for O levels, tops her cohort

Singapore — A 29-year-old inmate has topped her inmate cohort in the results for last year's GCE O-level examinations, according to the Singapore Prison Service (SPS) on Wednesday (Jan 13). Her story was released on Captains of Lives, the Facebook page...

9 new NMPs lay out topics they will be bringing up in Parliament

Singapore—House Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin announced on Thursday (Jan 14) that the nine new Nominated Members of Parliament (NMP) are to be appointed on Jan 21. The NMP scheme, introduced in Singapore in 1990, was put in place to ensure that there would...

Chee Soon Juan posts video calling out “sinful waste of public funds in Bukit Batok”

Singapore—Dr Chee Soon Juan, the secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), posted a video on his Facebook page on Wednesday (Jan 13) decrying a "sinful waste of public funds in Bukit Batok.” He was referring to a proposed linkway from Member...