All commuters on-board a train heading East were forced to alight at Tanjong Pagar MRT station yesterday morning.
At about 9.45am, the train pulled into the station and white smoke was detected coming from beneath it while it was stationary at the station platform.
The incident was due to a Freon gas leak from a faulty air-conditioning compressor.
The compressor had become overheated after oil leaked, resulting in a release of Freon gas into the platform area.
Freon gas is a common refrigerant used in air-conditioners and is non-toxic, but it interacts with moisture in the air to form an odourless white smoke.
As such, there were videos circulating on social media showing the platform and train cabins filled with smoke.
Prolonged exposure to Freon gas, especially when it is deeply inhaled, can cut off oxygen to the cells and lungs.
Margaret Teo, SMRT’s vice-president of corporate communications said that, “As a safety precaution, all passengers on board the affected train were asked to alight and board the next train”.
A similar incident occurred at Tanjong Pagar MRT in August 2016 as well.
Follow us on Social Media
Send in your scoops to email@example.com