S. Korean court denies arrest warrant for K-pop star Seungri

Former BIGBANG boyband member Seungri, real name Lee Seung-hyun, arrives at the High Court in Seoul on May 14, 2019. - The 28-year-old is linked to a police investigation into Burning Sun, a nightclub where he was a public relations director, where staff are alleged to have filmed women with hidden cameras and used alcohol and drugs to sexually assault them. (Photo by Ed JONES / AFP) / “The erroneous mention[s] appearing in the metadata of this photo by Ed JONES has been modified in AFP systems in the following manner: [28-year-old] instead of [29-year-old]. Please immediately remove the erroneous mention[s] from all your online services and delete it (them) from your servers. If you have been authorized by AFP to distribute it (them) to third parties, please ensure that the same actions are carried out by them. Failure to promptly comply with these instructions will entail liability on your part for any continued or post notification usage. Therefore we thank you very much for all your attention and prompt action. We are sorry for the inconvenience this notification may cause and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.”

A South Korean court on Tuesday refused to issue an arrest warrant against K-pop star Seungri over charges including prostitution in a snowballing sex scandal, Yonhap news agency reported.

The 28-year-old singer from popular boy band BIGBANG and his business partner are accused of arranging sex services for potential investors and rich clients at a nightclub owned by the pair.

Seoul Central District Court said there was “room for dispute” over his alleged embezzlement and that there was little concern that he could destroy evidence, the South Korean news agency said.

Earlier in the day, Seungri — real name Lee Seung-hyun — attended a court hearing over the allegations.

He later left the building, his hands cuffed and covered with a cloth, to be taken to a nearby detention centre to await the court’s decision.

Police investigators allege that Seungri and his partner procured a dozen prostitutes for a group of Japanese investors in 2015 at their upmarket Burning Sun nightclub, according to Yonhap news agency.

The pair are also accused of embezzling around 530 million won (US$450,000) from the business and face charges of violating sanitary codes at the club, where drug peddling was allegedly commonplace and women are said to have been regularly raped.

Seungri, who announced his retirement from showbusiness in March as the scandal ballooned, has denied the charges.

Other stars have been embroiled in the allegations, which have cast a shadow over the K-pop industry after investigations into Seungri revealed an online chatroom where a handful of male celebrities shared illegally filmed sex videos.

Singer-songwriter Jung Joon-young, who ran the chatroom, was arrested in March after admitting to filming himself having sex and sharing the footage without his partners’ consent.

A member of boy band FT Island was arrested earlier this month while another figure has announced his retirement from the entertainment industry amid an ongoing probe.

bur-ecl/rmb

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

SHARE