Asia Malaysia Malaysia drops charges against 'Wolf of Wall Street' producer

Malaysia drops charges against ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ producer

Riza Aziz, who is also the stepson of the country's disgraced ex-leader Najib Razak, was arrested in July for allegedly receiving nearly $250 million from Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund 1MDB. 

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Malaysian prosecutors on Thursday dropped money laundering charges linked to the 1MDB scandal against one of the producers of Hollywood hit “The Wolf of Wall Street” after he agreed a settlement with the government.

Riza Aziz, who is also the stepson of the country’s disgraced ex-leader Najib Razak, was arrested in July for allegedly receiving nearly $250 million from Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund 1MDB.

Billions of dollars were looted from the fund and spent on everything from a yacht to pricey art in a huge fraud that spanned the globe, and allegedly involved Najib and his cronies.

But a judge agreed to give Riza a discharge not amounting to an acquittal — meaning the charges have been dropped — after he agreed a settlement with the government, prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib told AFP.

- Advertisement -

Ahmad declined to disclose the amount, but reports said it amounted to several million ringgit. One million ringgit is about $230,000.

Riza had been accused of receiving $248.17 million in 2011 and 2012 in illegal proceeds that came from 1MDB.

The money was sent to bank accounts of Hollywood production company Red Granite Pictures, which Riza co-founded.

Aside from “The Wolf of Wall Street”, which was about a huge financial scam and starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Red Granite also produced the Jim Carrey movie “Dumb and Dumber To” and “Daddy’s Home”.

Najib was voted out of power in 2018 in large part due to public anger at the 1MDB scandal, and has since been put on trial over the mammoth fraud. He denies any wrongdoing.

The alliance that ousted Najib, led by 94-year-old Mahathir Mohamad, reopened investigations into the scandal and started clawing back looted money.

But Mahathir’s government itself lost power earlier this year and was replaced by an administration that includes Najib’s party, raising questions about whether criminal proceedings linked to the controversy will continue.

pl/sr/qan

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Man attacks teen, calls him a virus, damages his phone

Singapore—A sudden attack took a teen by surprise when one man started yelling at him, physically harming him, and throwing his phone into a nearby drain at around 10.30pm on Tuesday (Feb 23) on a section of the road near the...

3 migrant workers die after 10 injured in Tuas industrial building blast

Singapore – Three of the 10 workers injured in an explosion at an industrial building in Tuas on Wednesday (Feb 24) died on Thursday. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to a fire at No. 32E Tuas Avenue 11 at around...

Film producer says Myanmar maid called her family, wanting to go home, two weeks before she died

A video producer who visited the family of Piang Ngaih Don, the Myanmar maid beaten and starved to death by her employers in 2016, says Ms Piang somehow managed to call her family just two weeks before she died. She told...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent