Home News Featured News In tit-for-tat move China imposes $60 billion tariffs on American goods as...

In tit-for-tat move China imposes $60 billion tariffs on American goods as trade war spirals

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

China said it will institute new tariffs on U.S. goods worth $60 billion on September 24. A Reuters report said that China’s tariff rate on a list of 5,207 U.S. products will range between 5 percent and 10 percent.

The tit-for-tat action by China comes after the President of the United States Donald Trump announced on Sep 17 that he will impose 10 per cent US tariffs on about $200 billion worth of Chinese imports. In directing the United States Trade Representative (USTR) to proceed with placing additional tariffs on roughly $200 billion of imports from China, the President spared some consumer products.

The tariffs will take effect on September 24, 2018, and be set at a level of 10 per cent until the end of the year. On January 1, the tariffs will rise to 25 per cent.

Trump warned, “if China takes retaliatory action against our farmers or other industries, we will immediately pursue phase three, which is tariffs on approximately $267 billion of additional imports.”

- Advertisement -

The Trump administration said that it was = taking this action as a result of its conclusion that China is engaged in numerous unfair policies and practices relating to United States technology and intellectual property – such as forcing United States companies to transfer technology to Chinese counterparts.

Trade war between America and China escalates as Trump imposes $200 billion tariffs on Chinese goods

“We are under no pressure to make a deal with China. They are under pressure to make a deal with us. Our markets are surging, theirs are collapsing,” Trump tweeted last week. The tweet being a sign that the US is determined to carry on the trade war based on calculations that the Chinese economy is going to collapse and that Chinese officials will eventually buckle.

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

JTC issues stop-work order on contractor that ‘erroneously’ cleared Kranji woodlands

Singapore – The contractor that “erroneously” cleared a forested area at Kranji has announced it has been issued a stop-work order by JTC and is assisting the developer with investigations on the issue. On Feb 16, state-owned industrial property developer JTC responded...

Clementi, Dover, Kranji: Singapore’s grand conservation plan is to plant trees and destroy forests

Yes, we love to plant trees. Since Lee Kuan Yew started the whole ritual, at least 10,000 saplings are planted every year since 1963 as part of the Tree Planting campaign. Impressive indeed. Singapore Clean and Green. At the same time,...

Ex-UOB vice-president charged with mishandling over S$5.4 million

Singapore—Sixty-five-year-old Ling Shek Lun, who used to be a  vice-president at UOB, has been charged with mishandling millions of dollars, reported straitstimes.com (ST) on Friday (Feb 19). Ling, a Singaporean who was charged in district court on Feb 10, faces two charges...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent