International Asia Family thought French-Irish girl abducted, Malaysia inquest hears

Family thought French-Irish girl abducted, Malaysia inquest hears

Senior police official Mohamad Nor Marzukee Besar, who played a key role in organising the search for the schoolgirl, said Tuesday that her London-based family believed she was in one of three houses near the Dusun Resort.

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

The family of a French-Irish teenager who died after disappearing from a Malaysian jungle resort initially suspected she had been kidnapped and taken to a nearby house, an inquest heard Tuesday.

The body of 15-year-old Nora Quoirin, who had learning difficulties, was discovered unclothed after a massive hunt through the rainforest last year.

Police insist there was no foul play but her parents — who believe there was criminal involvement, as they say she would not have wandered off alone — pushed for an inquest and authorities agreed.

Senior police official Mohamad Nor Marzukee Besar, who played a key role in organising the search for the schoolgirl, said Tuesday that her London-based family believed she was in one of three houses near the Dusun Resort.

- Advertisement -

“Family members said the child had been abducted and identified the three houses where she might be held,” he told the court in Seremban city, on the second day of the inquest.

“We searched the houses but did not find anything.”

The teen’s family had also told police at the time that she could not walk more than 20 feet (six metres) on her own, Marzukee said.

As well as the houses, a team searched a hut deep in the jungle after the resort owner said the girl could have been taken there, but only found a man sleeping at the site, he said.

Quoirin disappeared from the resort on August 4 last year, triggering a 10-day hunt involving helicopters, sniffer dogs and hundreds of searchers.

An autopsy found that she probably starved and died of internal bleeding after spending about a week in the dense rainforest.

On the first day of the inquest on Monday, a police official said he did not believe the teen was kidnapped after inspecting the house where she stayed with her family, and thought she had climbed out of a window.

The teenager’s Irish mother and French father are not able to attend the inquest due to the coronavirus pandemic, but are following it via a video-conferencing platform.

jsm-sr/kaf

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Jolin Tsai’s perky butt got the internet abuzz

Taipei -- Mandopop diva Jolin Tsai isn't shy of flaunting her figure in all kinds of sexy and revealing outfits and her fans are just lapping it up. The 40-year-old singer uploaded a couple of photos from her trip to Yangmingshan...

Man attacks teen, calls him a virus, damages his phone

Singapore—A sudden attack took a teen by surprise when one man started yelling at him, physically harming him, and throwing his phone into a nearby drain at around 10.30pm on Tuesday (Feb 23) on a section of the road near the...

3 migrant workers die after 10 injured in Tuas industrial building blast

Singapore – Three of the 10 workers injured in an explosion at an industrial building in Tuas on Wednesday (Feb 24) died on Thursday. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to a fire at No. 32E Tuas Avenue 11 at around...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent