Prime Minister-in-waiting Anwar Ibrahim has been hit by yet another claim of sexual misconduct by a lone figure who delivered a press conference solo without any media present.
The event was held in an unknown location to the media, but a video was distributed in which the claimant gave some details of the purported sexual assault.
But the Anwar’s party leaders say the claim is nothing more than a malicious political attack against the party and its president.
PKR communications director Fahmi Fadzil says the individual’s action was an apparent political attempt to put down the party’s image and notes that the claim comes at a particular juncture in Malaysian politics.
The MP said the timing coincides with the party’s congress in Melaka and termed it as ‘peculiar’.
“There is someone who is politically attacking PKR as the party holds its annual congress. The allegation is baseless and the people are already disgusted with such a political attack.
“To me, this is not an issue at all as the person’s family had also made a statement on it,” Fahmi said.
The family of the claimant, Muhammad Yusoff Rawther, has also issued a statement in which he distanced itself from the claims. It also says the Yusoff has also cut himself off from the family since the death of the family stalwart, a consumer activist who was close to Anwar and who passed away recently.
In a sworn declaration yesterday (Wednesday), Yusoff claimed that he had been sexually assaulted by Anwar while working as his researcher.
The assault allegedly took place at Anwar’s house on Oct 2 last year but Anwar says he was busy campaigning during that time in the Port Dickson by-election.
An uncle of the claimant says in a statement the family believes Yusoff was manipulated by some people to make such claim against Anwar.
“This is a clear view that there may be a political element on such issue (sic) since the congress is being held (now),” said Fahmi. -/TISGFollow us on Social Media
Send in your scoops to email@example.com