SINGAPORE: Several dog keepers have taken social media to warn other fur parents to avoid a field in Parry Avenue, Kovan, believed to have been poisoned. At least three dogs so far have died due to poisoning, according to news reports.
“Please be careful when you walk your dogs around the neighbourhood,” read one of the IG stories on the @bernedoodlesage account on Saturday (Oct 7). The story showed a photo of a sign posted just outside a field. The sign reads, “DOG POISON. Suspected Dog Poison—Parry Field, Parry Ave, Phillips Ave, Sandilands Road, Other Surrounding Areas. Multiple Dogs Dead. Please Be Very Careful.”
The next IG story on the @bernedoodlesage account heartbreakingly showed that one of the dogs, Palo, a Bernedoodle under two years old, had been poisoned and died.
“Brave Palo fought so hard for 8 hours since last night. We were all there till his last breath, lil angel knew he was not alone. Rest easy now Palo, I hope you make many new friends up there,” the caption to the story reads.
The account owner had previously written that Palo showed symptoms of having been poisoned after visiting the area. Other dog keepers have also reported that their pets had vomited and experienced seizures after going to the field on Parry Avenue, which is a place where dog keepers often take their pets for walks. These symptoms may be indicative of poisoning.
Palo’s fur parents also said over social media that they’ve told “quite a few” dog keepers about the situation Saturday morning as they were on their way to the field, which is around a 15-minute walk from the MRT station at Kovan.
Another dog, an 11-month-old named Sunkiss, is also said to be a victim of the poisoned field. “We will miss playing with you, and going on walks with you. We will miss cuddling you, giving you belly rubs, and feeding you treats. We will miss watching you run around happily, and seeing your adorable face light up with happiness as you played. You brought all of us so much joy, and we will always remember you. Run free over the rainbow bridge, little one. We love you,” reads a post on Instagram, showing a video of Sunkiss in happier times.
The Straits Times reported on Oct 7 that a joint statement was released from the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) and the Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS) under the National Parks Board. The statement said that the relevant authorities are aware of the suspected poisoning cases at the Parry Avenue field from the posts on social media and that AVS has reached out to the dog keepers and is investigating the issue. /TISG