International Asia Trump announces probe of Chinese companies listed in US

Trump announces probe of Chinese companies listed in US

The announcement followed Beijing's move to implement a new security law on semi-autonomous Hong Kong that critics say would stifle freedom, as well as with Trump's claims that China obfuscated the origins of the coronavirus that has killed more than 100,000 people in the United States.

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

US President Donald Trump on Friday ordered a probe into the actions of Chinese companies listed on American financial markets as tensions flared anew between the world’s two biggest economies.

The announcement followed Beijing’s move to implement a new security law on semi-autonomous Hong Kong that critics say would stifle freedom, as well as with Trump’s claims that China obfuscated the origins of the coronavirus that has killed more than 100,000 people in the United States.

“I’m instructing my presidential working group on financial markets to study the differing practices of Chinese companies listed on the US financial markets with the goal of protecting American investors,” Trump said, without providing details on what steps his administration might take.

“Investment firms should not be subjecting clients to the hidden and undue risks associated with financing Chinese companies that do not play by the same rules. Americans are entitled to fairness and transparency,” he added.

- Advertisement -

As of February 2019, 156 Chinese companies with a market capitalization of $1.2 trillion were listed on US markets, at least 11 of which were state-owned, according to the Congressionally-mandated US-China Economic and Security Review Commission.

Among the largest were e-commerce giant Alibaba, China’s largest oil producer PetroChina and Sinopec, the world’s largest oil refiner.

Starbucks competitor Luckin Coffee debuted on Nasdaq last year with a market value of about $4 billion, but was asked to de-listed earlier this month after a massive fraud scandal.

The announcement of the review came as Trump said he would be suspending the entry of certain Chinese citizens and reviewing US relations with Hong Kong, which saw seven months of huge and sometimes-violent pro-democracy protests last year.

cs/hs

© 1994-2020 Agence France-Presse
/AFPFollow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

A ‘mistake’ to appoint ex-PAP minister Khaw Boon Wan chairman of new entity after SPH restructuring: netizens

Singapore – Netizens expressed concern over the news that former Cabinet minister Khaw Boon Wan will chair the board of the new not-for-profit entity following Singapore Press Holdings' (SPH) restructuring. That, according to them, will be "a mistake." Minister for Communications and...

Viral video: Diners’ run-in with Lau Pa Sat safe-distancing officer on first day of tighter restrictions

Singapore—A video of angry patrons shouting at a safe-distancing officer at Lau Pa Sat has gone viral. The video was taken on the evening of Saturday (May 8), the day the country went back to stricter restrictions on social gatherings following an...

Yee Jenn Jong to Goh Chok Tong: Don’t blame social media for fewer people wanting to join politics

Singapore—Standing Tall, the second volume of former Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong’s biography, was launched only last Friday (May 7), but the Workers’ Party’s Mr Yee Jenn Jong is already questioning one of the statements Mr Goh makes in the book. The...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent