International Asia Thousands of Chinese tourists stranded in Bali after flights suspended

Thousands of Chinese tourists stranded in Bali after flights suspended

With flights suspended Wednesday, at least 5,000 Chinese tourists are currently on the holiday island, according to Gou Haodong, the Chinese Consul General in Denpasar.

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Thousands of Chinese tourists risk being stranded in Bali after the Indonesian government suspended flights to and from mainland China over fears of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

With flights suspended Wednesday, at least 5,000 Chinese tourists are currently on the holiday island, according to Gou Haodong, the Chinese Consul General in Denpasar.

Some are hoping to secure visa extensions offered by Bali deputy governor Tjokorda Oka Artha Ardhana Sukawati.

“Many foreign tourists want to extend their vacation in Bali and it is fine,” he said.

- Advertisement -

But concerns surround delayed departures.

“We hope that Bali immigration office could facilitate Chinese tourists who have to overstay due to the policy,” Haodong said.

Some hotels had given assurances the visitors would be treated well during their extended stay, Haodong said, but he noted one establishment had “rejected Chinese tourists who have earlier checked in and entered their rooms due to panic over coronavirus”.

The number of Chinese tourists has already fallen from about 6,000 per day to just to 1,000 since the outbreak started in mid-December.

Indonesia has yet to report a confirmed case of the virus, which emerged in a Chinese market at the end of last year and has since killed almost 500 people in China and spread around the world.

Some 2.1 million Chinese visit Indonesia every year, the second largest group after Malaysia, according to tourist officials

str-hrl/ind

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Man attacks teen, calls him a virus, damages his phone

Singapore—A sudden attack took a teen by surprise when one man started yelling at him, physically harming him, and throwing his phone into a nearby drain at around 10.30pm on Tuesday (Feb 23) on a section of the road near the...

3 migrant workers die after 10 injured in Tuas industrial building blast

Singapore – Three of the 10 workers injured in an explosion at an industrial building in Tuas on Wednesday (Feb 24) died on Thursday. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to a fire at No. 32E Tuas Avenue 11 at around...

Film producer says Myanmar maid called her family, wanting to go home, two weeks before she died

A video producer who visited the family of Piang Ngaih Don, the Myanmar maid beaten and starved to death by her employers in 2016, says Ms Piang somehow managed to call her family just two weeks before she died. She told...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent