Home News Featured News “No vacancy” for Anwar in my Cabinet for now: PM Mahathir

“No vacancy” for Anwar in my Cabinet for now: PM Mahathir

“Since nobody has indicated they want to resign, we have no vacancy,” he added, saying, “If we have a vacancy, we will consider suitable candidates," said the Malaysian PM

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

There are currently no vacancies in the Cabinet, Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad said on Thursday (August 29).

His statement came in response to queries on when prime minister-in-waiting Anwar Ibrahim will join the Pakatan Harapan coalition government.

“We are not having any change or any increase in the number of members of the Cabinet,” Dr Mahathir told reporters after chairing a party Supreme Council meeting, according to a CNA report.

“Since nobody has indicated they want to resign, we have no vacancy,” he added, saying, “If we have a vacancy, we will consider suitable candidates”.

- Advertisement -

While Dr Mahathir was appointed as prime minister, it was agreed that Mr Anwar, who was still in prison until a royal pardon was granted on May 16, 2018, would eventually take over.

In May, Mahathir reiterated that while Anwar would be the one to succeed him, no time frame had been given for the transfer of power.

Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) had said that the agreement was for Anwar to take over in two years’ time, but others including Dr Mahathir’s own son Mr Mukhriz Mahathir, also emphasised upon the lack of a fixed timeline.

Dr Mahathir, who turned 94 last month, has repeatedly maintained that he will adhere to the succession plan but has not taken any step forward to start the chain of progression.

In June this year, Dr Mahathir said he would not serve beyond three years. /TISG

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Man attacks teen, calls him a virus, damages his phone

Singapore—A sudden attack took a teen by surprise when one man started yelling at him, physically harming him, and throwing his phone into a nearby drain at around 10.30pm on Tuesday (Feb 23) on a section of the road near the...

3 migrant workers die after 10 injured in Tuas industrial building blast

Singapore – Three of the 10 workers injured in an explosion at an industrial building in Tuas on Wednesday (Feb 24) died on Thursday. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to a fire at No. 32E Tuas Avenue 11 at around...

Film producer says Myanmar maid called her family, wanting to go home, two weeks before she died

A video producer who visited the family of Piang Ngaih Don, the Myanmar maid beaten and starved to death by her employers in 2016, says Ms Piang somehow managed to call her family just two weeks before she died. She told...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent