International Asia Nissan files $90 mn suit against Ghosn

Nissan files $90 mn suit against Ghosn

Nissan said the damages had been calculated on the basis of the cost to the firm of Ghosn's "corrupt practices".

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Japanese car giant Nissan on Wednesday filed a civil lawsuit to reclaim some 10 billion yen ($90 million) from former chairman Carlos Ghosn for what it called “years of his misconduct and fraudulent activity”.

The 65-year-old faces multiple charges of financial misconduct in Japan but fled to Lebanon before he could face trial. He denies any wrongdoing.

Nissan said the damages had been calculated on the basis of the cost to the firm of Ghosn’s “corrupt practices”.

It accused Ghosn of “the use of overseas residential property without paying rent, private use of corporate jets, payments to his sister, payments to his personal lawyer in Lebanon”.

- Advertisement -

It said the amount was likely to rise and added that the company would also seek to sue Ghosn for “groundless and defamatory remarks” he made when he briefed the media in Lebanon.

Once hailed as a corporate saviour for rescuing Nissan from the brink of bankruptcy, Ghosn was facing a trial in Japan over a series of alleged crimes, including under-reporting his compensation to the tune of around $85 million.

Ghosn spent more than 100 days in detention in Japan after his sudden November 2018 arrest, but launched an audacious escape plan while out on bail in Tokyo and managed to travel to Lebanon apparently undetected.

He believes Nissan turned on him because executives there were concerned he was moving the firm closer to French partner Renault, part of a three-way alliance with Mitsubishi Motors.

ric/sah/qan

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Covid-19: Lawrence Wong warns SG now on ‘knife’s edge’, community cases can go either way in coming weeks

Singapore—Striking a sober note in Parliament on Tuesday afternoon (May 11), Education Minister Lawrence Wong conveyed that Singapore is now at a crucial point with regard to the Covid-19 pandemic. “I think it’s very important for us to understand that we are...

A ‘mistake’ to appoint ex-PAP minister Khaw Boon Wan chairman of new entity after SPH restructuring: netizens

Singapore – Netizens expressed concern over the news that former Cabinet minister Khaw Boon Wan will chair the board of the new not-for-profit entity following Singapore Press Holdings' (SPH) restructuring. That, according to them, will be "a mistake." Minister for Communications and...

Viral video: Diners’ run-in with Lau Pa Sat safe-distancing officer on first day of tighter restrictions

Singapore—A video of angry patrons shouting at a safe-distancing officer at Lau Pa Sat has gone viral. The video was taken on the evening of Saturday (May 8), the day the country went back to stricter restrictions on social gatherings following an...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent