Home News Mahathir draws Singapore into Najib's RM2.6 billion scandal

Mahathir draws Singapore into Najib's RM2.6 billion scandal

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Najib-appointed Attorney-General (AG) recently absolved the Malaysian Prime Minister of any wrongdoing in the scandal involving RM2.6bil donation into his personal accounts.
The announcement by the AG laid to rest threats of prosecution by the Malaysian authorities, and capped months of evasion by the Malaysian PM on the source of the money.
Malaysia’s former premiere, Tun Dato’ Seri Mahathir bin Mohamad, however, has now drawn Singapore into Malaysia’s alleged high-level graft scandal.
In his blog post the ex-premiere said:
“Then he (AG) goes on to say that the balance of US$620 million or RM2.03 billion has been returned to the Saudis. How and when was this done? We are told the balance is frozen by Singapore. Can Singapore explain the unfreezing and the delivery back to the Saudis? Or does Singapore also believe in the free gift story, the letter and the Saudi admission. ​Singapore is a financial centre. Can it be so gullible?”
On 15 July last year, the Singapore police issued orders under the Criminal Procedure Code to prohibit any dealings in respect of money in two bank accounts that are relevant to the (1MDB) investigation.

Read Mahathir’s post HERE.

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Man attacks teen, calls him a virus, damages his phone

Singapore—A sudden attack took a teen by surprise when one man started yelling at him, physically harming him, and throwing his phone into a nearby drain at around 10.30pm on Tuesday (Feb 23) on a section of the road near the...

3 migrant workers die after 10 injured in Tuas industrial building blast

Singapore – Three of the 10 workers injured in an explosion at an industrial building in Tuas on Wednesday (Feb 24) died on Thursday. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to a fire at No. 32E Tuas Avenue 11 at around...

Film producer says Myanmar maid called her family, wanting to go home, two weeks before she died

A video producer who visited the family of Piang Ngaih Don, the Myanmar maid beaten and starved to death by her employers in 2016, says Ms Piang somehow managed to call her family just two weeks before she died. She told...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent