International Business & Economy Dr Koh Poh Koon: It's not easy for most people to understand...

Dr Koh Poh Koon: It's not easy for most people to understand petrol pricing

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Responding to Mr Low Thia Khiang’s question in Parliament if petrol companies were profiteering at the expense of consumers, Minister of State for Trade and Industry, Dr Koh Poh Koon, said he did not think the companies, though they make profits, were doing that.

Low Thia Khiang picks up on Lee Bee Wah's PQ on petrol prices, questions the Minister of State, Koh Poh Koon – 许宝琨, if…

Posted by The Workers' Party on Monday, February 29, 2016

petrol pricekpkReflecting further on his answer in his Facebook page Dr Koh said that, “it’s not easy for most people to understand petrol pricing.”
“Crude oil is unrefined. MOPS (Mean of Platts Singapore) price is the price of refined petroleum and is the internationally traded price for refined petroleum,” the MOS said.
“MOPS constitute less than 30% of the listed retail price of petrol. The other 70% comprises of costs of land tax, operating costs, petrol tax etc. So if MOPS price which mirrors Crude price drops by 50% but this only contributes to less than 30% of the final retail price, then the final retail price will only drop by (0.3 x 50%= 16%),” he explained why even though crude oils price drops by 50%, you see only 16% drop in pump price.
In trying to further simplify petrol pricing for Singaporeans, Dr Koh said that “it’s like saying yellow noodles is only one of the ingredients of fishball noodles so even if the price of the yellow noodles drop by 50%, you will not see the price of the entire bowl of noodles get sold for half its usual price!”Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Mixed bag: PA’s defensive statement denying racism allegations draws both criticism & support

Singapore—The People’s Association (PA) issued a rather belated statement concerning a wedding photo that had been used for a Hari Raya celebration without the couple’s permission, after the woman in the photo aired her views on social media. And while the PA...

Netizens wonder why Covid cases increase whenever SG-HK travel bubble is mooted

Singapore—If there’s such a thing as an unlucky travel bubble, then maybe the one planned between Singapore and Hong Kong is it. The Ministry of Transport (MOT) announced last Thursday (June 10) that Singapore and Hong Kong would resume discussions on the...

Kumaran Pillai shares racist incident where Indian woman was called ‘black monster’, ‘black girl’

Singapore -- The Progress Singapore Party’s (PSP) Kumaran Pillai shared an incident where an Indian girl wrote that she was called “black monster” in primary school. He added that there are two kinds of racists - an outright one, and one...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent