SINGAPORE: A netizen took to social media after an upsetting incident at a coffee shop on Saturday (Aug 6). The glass of one of the drinks they had ordered, a hot Milo, suddenly shattered at their table, causing injury primarily to Tan Kee Boon’s mother and small cuts to the post author.
But what was even more upsetting was the uncaring attitude of the staff at the coffee shop, none of whom even helped the family.
“We were willing to just accept an apology and leave as we are aware that the workers here are just doing their jobs, but the lack of empathy made us furious. It seemed nobody was concerned, and only concerned for themselves,” the netizen wrote on the COMPLAINT SINGAPORE Facebook page on Monday morning (Aug 7).
The incident occurred at the Chang Cheng Mee Wah coffeeshop at Tampines Blk 802.
“We ordered some drinks and one of the drinks, a glass containing hot milo, suddenly burst in front of us. The glass shattered all around us, and some glass shards were embedded into my mother’s arms and feet. I myself had a few small cuts. We could no longer consume our drinks and food as the glass shards could have been in them,” wrote Tan Kee Boon.
“However, what shocked us the most is the attitude towards us. Not only did none of the workers at the drink stall come forward to aid us, but dismissed my father when he approached staffs for assistance, saying, and I quote, “不关我的事，去找别人“.
These phrases loosely translate to: “none of my business” and “go find someone else.”
The netizen added that they had been willing to just accept an apology and leave, but the uncaring attitude angered them.
“Would it really still be none of their business, had I mentioned to everybody else to be mindful of their drinks? Would consumers still want to buy from a stall which does not check their glass cups? Especially with their attitude after such an incident had happened?”
The netizen added that the beverage where the glass shattered wasn’t even very hot anymore since it had been a while since the Milo had been served.
Tan Kee Boon ended the post by writing, “What would happen if the cup had exploded while my mother was drinking from it? or if any glass shards were to enter our eyes? Could the cups have already been unsuitable for usage? I believe there should be some sort of compensation and apology provided to us. This was an awful experience for us.”
The Independent Singapore has reached out to the netizen and Chang Cheng Mee Wah coffee shop for further comments. /TISG