International Asia Beijing officials declare outbreak 'under control'

Beijing officials declare outbreak ‘under control’

"The Beijing epidemic directly linked to Xinfadi (market) is basically under control, but at the same time we have discovered household and workplace cluster infections and cases of community transmission," said Beijing municipal government spokesman Xu Hejian at a briefing.

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

The new coronavirus outbreak that has infected 256 people in Beijing since early June is “under control”, officials in the Chinese capital said Wednesday, but fears still remain over the risk of community transmission.

Authorities have raced to contain the outbreak linked to the largest wholesale food market in Beijing after the first case was announced on June 11, leading to a partial lockdown of the city.

“The Beijing epidemic directly linked to Xinfadi (market) is basically under control, but at the same time we have discovered household and workplace cluster infections and cases of community transmission,” said Beijing municipal government spokesman Xu Hejian at a briefing.

“The prevention and control situation remains complicated, we cannot lower our guard in the slightest.”

- Advertisement -

Officials found that 253 out of 256 Beijing cases were linked to Xinfadi in the south of the city, while contact tracing for the remaining three was still ongoing.

The city announced seven new cases on Wednesday, with the rate of infection slowing since the start of this week.

“This sends a very positive signal, and proves that the prevention and control measures taken lately, as well as lockdown of residential compounds, are effective,” said Lei Haichao, head of the Beijing health commission.

“The combination of fever clinics, discovering (cases) from close contacts, and mass nucleic acid testing have played an important role in early detection.”

The city increased its daily nucleic acid sample testing capacity to 300,000 from 100,000 per day in early June, said Lei, adding that 137 cases — just over half — were found through screening.

Nearly three million people have been tested.

Many cases have been low-income migrant workers at Xinfadi and nearby restaurants. The market and dozens of residential compounds have been under lockdown since June 13.

Beijing has mass-tested wholesale market workers, restaurant workers, residents of medium and high-risk neighbourhoods and delivery couriers over the past week.

The cities of Wuhan, where the initial COVID outbreak emerged late last year, and Mudanjiang have also seen similar mass testing campaigns to root out undiscovered asymptomatic cases.

Experts warned that smaller, recurrent outbreaks were likely in future.

“There may be an increase in cases in the winter or next spring, but I don’t think the outbreak will be as big as the first wave of the pandemic,” said Zhong Nanshan, a leading respiratory expert who spearheaded China’s response to the SARS pandemic, on Wednesday.

lxc/lth/qan

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Journalist claims Karen Mok is the only woman Stephen Chow has ever thought of marrying

Hong Kong -- Last year, comedian Stephen Chow's public and ugly legal battle with his former girlfriend over their finances gave a rare peek into the personal life of the fiercely private 58-year-old. It was reported that out of all the women...

Goh Chok Tong says that as true friends with Tan Cheng Bock, “we will always have each other’s best interest at heart”

Despite a relationship that seemed to be fraught with political tension from the past year, Goh Chok Tong and Tan Cheng Bock met for dinner over the weekend. On Friday (Feb 19), former Emeritus Senior Minister (ESM) Goh posted on social media...

Prank orders in Joo Seng affects at least 12 delivery riders, police investigating incident

Singapore – The police are investigating a case of "intentional harassment" involving Foodpanda delivery orders sent to a Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat in Joo Seng after a resident highlighted a case of "prank orders" in social media. On Friday (Feb...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent