Home News Amos Yee could remain behind bars in USA till March

Amos Yee could remain behind bars in USA till March

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Teen blogger Amos Yee could remain behind bars in the United States of America until March 2017. Yee has detained in Chicago pending his political asylum bid since mid December 2017. The blogger had earlier decried the long detention saying he would be behind bars in the US longer than the time he spent in the Singapore Prison.

Yee made his first appearance at an immigration court in Chicago yesterday (30 Jan) and his next hearing is set for 7 March. It is still unclear though if Yee will remain in custody till that time as it is entirely up to the US immigration agency if they would release him before the next court date. Yee’s lawyer said that she will renew a request for his release.

Yee who appeared before the immigration judge via video link was said to be in a “positive state of mind”.

Yee had earlier said that America’s immigration policies were repressive, that “tens of thousands of people have already suffered from these policies”, and that he was speaking up against them.

- Advertisement -

Amos’ rant against the American system is a U-Turn from his earlier post where he said that incarceration in the US “is far better than Singaporean jail.”

Yee landed in Chicago O-Hare Airport on 16 Dec with a tourist visa and was detained by the US authorities when they discovered text messages between him and a US-based Singaporean activist, Melissa Chen, about his bid for political asylum in America.

Ms Chen has started a petition demanding the immediate release of Amos from American jail. She claimed that his detention highlighted the flaws of USA’s immigration policy and is contradictory to the principles of free speech America professes to hold. The petition has over 200 signatures.

In likening his actions for immigration reforms in the US to that of “Gandhi, Einstein, Martin Luther King Jr, and to Jesus Christ”, Yee asked his fans to join his resistance.

- Advertisement -

He further said that the he has no intention of returning to Singapore as he does not want to do National Service. Last month he appealed for $10,000 to be donated towards his relocation to the US. To date, about $3,000 has been pledged to his relocation fund.Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Netizens wonder why Covid cases increase whenever SG-HK travel bubble is mooted

Singapore—If there’s such a thing as an unlucky travel bubble, then maybe the one planned between Singapore and Hong Kong is it. The Ministry of Transport (MOT) announced last Thursday (June 10) that Singapore and Hong Kong would resume discussions on the...

Kumaran Pillai shares racist incident where Indian woman was called ‘black monster’, ‘black girl’

Singapore -- The Progress Singapore Party’s (PSP) Kumaran Pillai shared an incident where an Indian girl wrote that she was called “black monster” in primary school. He added that there are two kinds of racists - an outright one, and one...

Man allegedly shouts at McDonald’s manager because there is ham in egg mayo sandwich

Singapore – A member of the public took to social media to commend the staff manager of a McDonald's outlet for handling well an angry customer complaining about the ham in his egg mayo sandwich. A netizen took to Facebook page Complaint...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent