International Business & Economy Air India - Vistara merger approved, SIA to take 25% stake in...

Air India – Vistara merger approved, SIA to take 25% stake in Air India

Follow us on Instagram and Telegram

Singapore Airlines will pump in millions for a 25 per cent stake in Air India, which has won approval for merger with Vistara, in which SIA has a 49 per cent share.

SINGAPORE: The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger of Tata Group airlines Vistara, in which Singapore Airlines holds a 49 per cent stake, and Air India, subject to certain conditions.

CCI tweet

As part of the deal, SIA would pump into Rs 20,590 million (about S$336.81 million) in the expanded share capital of Air India for a 25.1 per cent stake, report Mint and Money Control. Tata Sons would own the remaining 74.9 percent stake in the combined entity.

See also  SIA’s overdue review to remaining relevant

With this deal, SIA will reinforce its partnership with Tata and acquire a strategic stake in an entity that is four to five times larger in scale compared to Vistara, says Money Control.

Following the merger with Vistara, Air India could become India’s largest international carrier and second-largest domestic airline after IndiGo.

“CCI approves the merger of Tata SIA Airlines into Air India, and acquisition of certain shareholding by Singapore Airlines (SIA) in Air India subject to compliance of voluntary commitments offered by the parties,” the anti-trust agency Competition Commission of India (CCI) posted on X, formerly Twitter.

See also  Sia plane wing ‘makes contact’ with another aircraft on ground; flight cancelled

The approval comes after CCI in June issued a show-cause notice to Air India, seeking clarification on why its proposed merger with Vistara should not be investigated over concerns about competition in the aviation sector.

Tata Sons and SIA filed a merger application with the CCI in April this year.

See also  Singapore Airlines apologises for 17-hour flight delay due to safety issues, but netizens scold one man for complaining about it



- Advertisement -
Follow us on Instagram and Telegram

Follow us on Instagram and Telegram