Home News 2 neighbours say they alerted authorities about possible dementia in a resident...

2 neighbours say they alerted authorities about possible dementia in a resident before the Ang Mo Kio fire

The neighbours, Ms Bernadine had written to the town council asking for assistance and Sarah Ambika had spoken to the authorities asking them for help for the elderly woman

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Singapore—The neighbours of an older woman believed to be having dementia whose  fourth-storey unit at Block 446 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 caught fire on Tuesday, October 29, say that the blaze had been “an accident waiting to happen.”

The New Paper (TNP) reports that one of the elderly woman’s neighbours, who identified herself as Ms Bernadine, said she saw smoke coming into her flat at around 9:00 am, as she was just about to leave to go to work.

Ms Bernadine told TNP, “I saw the elderly lady outside her unit, panicking and knocking on neighbours’ doors for help.”

The older woman is said to live with her son, who was reportedly at work when the fire broke out.

- Advertisement -

She woke her nephew at once, and then called the police. Even while she was still talking to them on the phone, three explosions — one after another — occurred, stunning and frightening Ms Bernadine, who works as an executive assistant.

She also told TNP that out of concern for the older lady, whom she would at times see walking around the building’s corridors in the nude, she had already written to the town council for assistance.

Another neighbour, 70-year-old Sarah Ambika, had also approached the authorities to appeal for help for the elderly woman, who is said to be in her seventies.

Ms Ambika noted that she saw fire hazards whenever she walked past the older lady’s flat.

“I saw stacks of newspaper and other hazardous items in her flat. She even burned candles on her water meter once,” she told TNP.

According to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), “the fire that involved the contents of a kitchen was extinguished by SCDF using two water jets”.

The cause of the fire is still being determined.

About 40 residents of Block 446 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 were evacuated because of the fire, which thankfully, left no one injured.

The residents who had to be evacuated have received help with finding temporary housing, said Ang Hin Kee, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC.

Those (of the) affected units and occupants are being assisted with temporary housing,” Mr Ang said.

He also told TNP,” ”We attend to feedback and render interventions as best we can and within the means available to us.”

A common corridor shared by five units on the building’s fourth floor also sustained damages from the fire./ TISG

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Calvin Cheng cautions: “The PAP needs to remember how to be a political party”

Singapore -- Former Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Calvin Cheng took to social media to say that the era of Lee Kuan Yew-style politics was over. In a Facebook post on Tuesday (Apr 13), Mr Cheng wrote about politics in Singapore. “For half...

Those who recover from Covid-19 may be at risk for blood clotting: S’pore study

Singapore – According to a study by the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), people who have recovered from Covid-19 may face risks of blood clot formation due to an overactive immune response. Covid-19 patients, especially those with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions, may be at...

Tan Cheng Bock and Goh Chok Tong were apparently from the same CCA in RI

Singapore -- Known to have been close friends once, Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Goh Chok Tong recently attended the same scouting event at Raffles Institution, indicating that they were likely from the same CCA as well. In a Facebook post...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent