Home News Socio-Political UK PM resigns over Brexit: Wake up call for PAP

UK PM resigns over Brexit: Wake up call for PAP

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

By: Forever Vagabond
The voters of UK have finally decided to leave EU with the results of the referendum showing 52% in favor of leaving and 48% against.
Soon after the results were out, UK PM David Cameron announced his resignation (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-live-david-cameron-resigns-as-uk-shocks-the-world).
“I think the country requires fresh leadership. I do not think I can be the captain to take the country to its next destination,” he said, fighting back his tears with his voice breaking.
Fear of immigration and job loss
Voters in London and Scotland, the two most prosperous parts of the UK, turned out in large numbers to deliver a clear message that they wanted to remain in the EU and its huge single market.
But elsewhere — in the old industrial centres of the north, the small towns of the Midlands and the faded seaside resorts — majority were in favour of Leave, rejecting the establishment that had let them down (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c1adcce2-397e-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html).
Those who think they have benefited from globalisation voted to stay. However, more who felt they have not, chose to leave.
In the Manchester district, for example, an overwhelming 60.4% voted to remain in EU (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36617781). However, It was in the more deprived parts of northern Greater Manchester where most voters chose to “Brexit”.
In Rochdale, Oldham, Tameside and Wigan, all part of the Greater Manchester, more than 60% voted to leave – a sign of the long-simmering frustration over immigration and its perceived impact on jobs.
Ultimately, the fear of immigration and job loss pushed the overall average score to 55% in Greater Manchester for voters wanting to leave the EU.

Hungary PM: Immigration a “decisive and definitive issue”

In a radio interview, the PM of Hungary, Viktor Orban, said that immigration was “a decisive and definitive issue” in the decision of UK voters to leave the EU.
“It was a decisive issue in the UK’s debate [over EU membership]. How they can keep their island, how they can remain who they are, how they can defend themselves against migrants and immigration, and whether they are satisfied with Brussels’ policies on that matter and the defense [Brussels] delivers,” Mr Orban said.
Mr Orban also felt that EU’s answers to the issues of migration have failed to make EU stronger (http://www.nasdaq.com/article/hungary-pm-orban-immigration-issue-decisive-in-uks-brexit-vote-20160624-00040).
Trump: People are angry
In another media interview, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump also sees that Brexit is a reflection of angry people over immigration (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/donald-trump-visits-uk-republican-presidential-hopeful-to-reopen).
He said, “I think it’s a great thing that happened, an amazing vote, very historic. We’re very happy.”
Asked why people voted for Brexit, he said: “People are angry. All over the world they’re angry.”
He praised David Cameron, describing him as “a good man” but who “didn’t get the mood of his country right.”
Asked if he took heart from the result for his own campaign, Mr Trump said, “We’re doing very well in the United States and essentially the same thing is happening in the United States.”
“They are angry over borders, they are angry over people coming into the country and taking over and nobody even noticing. They are angry about many, many things.”
When asked where the people were angry in, he said, “The UK, the US, many other places. It will not be the last.”
Singaporeans are also angry with immigration
In Singapore, when the 6.9 million White Paper was unleashed by PMO and endorsed by 77 PAP MPs in Parliament, there was a huge public outcry against it.
A former HDB and URA CEO, Liu Thai Ker, even suggested that Singapore could easily take in 10 million people.
The anger was so great that it sparked a first large-scale protest by the public in Hong Lim Park since the independence of Singapore. The protest made worldwide news since public protests in Singapore were virtually unheard of.
The Brexit results should serve as a wake-up call for the PAP government that if it continues with its liberal immigration policy, it can only result in more angry Singaporeans.

- Advertisement -
72,000FansLike
1,000FollowersFollow
4,000FollowersFollow
1,000SubscribersSubscribe