In an article published on the website Brightside, the salaries of 13 world leaders were compared, with US President Donald Trump at the bottom of the list, as he only receives $1 per year. At the top of the list is Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, who receives $2.2 million a year.
Here’s a summary of what 13 world leaders earn annually, and what the minimum monthly wages are in the country where they live.
13. Donald Trump, US President—Mr. Trump waived the Presidential salary of $400,000 a year ($33,000 a month, $1,095 a day), and only receives $1 annually. Since he has a fortune worth $3 billion, he can well afford this. The minimum salary in the US is $1,160 per month.
12. Petro Poroshenko, President of Ukraine—Mr. Poroshenko receives $12,220 a year ($1,018 a month, $33 a day). However his $1.3 billion makes him the sixth wealthiest person in his country. The minimum salary in the Ukraine is $133 per month.
11. Xi Jinping, President of the People’s Republic of China—Mr. Xi earns $20,500 annually ($1,716 a month, $56 a day), the same amount since 2015, when it went up by more than 60 percent. Though neither he nor his family owns businesses, close relatives have a fortune of $376 million. The minimum monthly salary in China is between $150 and $300, depending on the location.
10. Sauli Niinistö, President of Finland—Mr. Niinistö earns $146,700 a year, ($12,225 a month, $402 a day). The minimum monthly salary in Finland is about $2000, though is not limited by law.
9. Vladimir Putin, President of Russia—Mr. Putin earns $151,000 a year, ($12,586 a month, $414 a day). The minimum monthly salary in Russia is $140.
8. Theresa May, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom—Mrs May earns $198,500 a year ($16,542 a month, $544 a day). The minimum monthly salary in the UK is $1569.
7. Emmanuel Macron, President of France—Mr. Macron earns $211,500 a year ($17,628 a month, $580 a day). The minimum monthly salary in France is $1758.
6. Jimmy Morales, President of Guatemala. Mr Morales earns $232,000 ($19,300 a month, $634 a day) a year and is the highest paid of all Latin American leaders. However, he gives 60% of his wages to charity, in fulfillment of a campaign promise he made. The minimum monthly salary in Guatemala is $200.
5. Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany—Mrs Merkel makes $263,000 a year ($22,000 a month, $720 a day). The minimum monthly salary in Germany is $1780.
4. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada—Mr. Trudeau earns $267,000 a year ($22,285 a month, $733 a day). The minimum monthly salary in Canada is $1400, on average, depending on the province.
3. Malcolm Turnbull, Prime Minister of Australia—Mr Turnbull earns $403,700 a year ($33,645 a month, $1,106 a day). Mr. Turnbull, a former businessman and banker, is a multimillionaire. The minimum monthly salary in Australia is $1900.
2. Doris Leuthard, President of the Swiss Confederation. Ms Leuthard earns $437,000 a year ($36,000 a month, $1,200 a day), an amount equal to the salaries of all other ministers combined. There is no minimum wage in Switzerland, except for the Canton of Neuchâtel, where it is $20 for every hour.
- Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore. Mr. Lee makes $2.2 million a year ($147,000 a month, $7,350 a day). Mr. Lee’s father, who jump started Singapore’s economics, was Prime Minister before him. His wages are the highest among all the world leaders, and he deems it to be fair and realistic.” Singapore runs of a budget of $53 million annually. Mr Lee actually used to be paid more, but when citizens complained, the amount was reduced by more than one-third. Singapore’s minimum salary is not limited by law, but it is approximately $1,000 per month.
Singaporean netizens had mixed reactions to the list.
Follow us on Social Media
Send in your scoops to firstname.lastname@example.org