International World Turkey charges 20 Saudis over Khashoggi murder

Turkey charges 20 Saudis over Khashoggi murder

Prosecutors accuse Saudi Arabia's deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri and the royal court's media czar Saud al-Qahtani of leading the operation and giving orders to a Saudi hit team. 

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Turkey has charged 20 suspects including two former aides to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over the 2018 murder of Riyadh critic Jamal Khashoggi, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

Prosecutors accuse Saudi Arabia’s deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri and the royal court’s media czar Saud al-Qahtani of leading the operation and giving orders to a Saudi hit team.

Khashoggi, 59, a commentator who wrote for The Washington Post, was killed after he entered the Saudi consulate on October 2, 2018, to obtain paperwork for his wedding to Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz.

Turkey carried out its own investigation into the murder after being unhappy with Saudi explanations.

- Advertisement -

The Istanbul prosecutor’s office said in a statement that Assiri and Qahtani were charged with “instigating the deliberate and monstrous killing, causing torment”.

Eighteen other suspects — including intelligence operative Maher Mutreb who frequently travelled with the crown prince on foreign tours, forensic expert Salah al-Tubaigy and Fahad al-Balawi, a member of the Saudi royal guard — were also charged with “deliberately and monstrously killing, causing torment”.

They face life in jail if convicted.

Mutreb, Tubaigy and Balawi had been among 11 on trial in Riyadh, during which sources said many of those accused defended themselves by saying they were carrying out Assiri’s orders, describing him as the operation’s “ringleader”.

The Turkish prosecutor said a trial in absentia would be opened against the 20 suspects but did not give a date.

The prosecutor had already issued arrest warrants for the suspects, who are not in Turkey.

Khashoggi, a Saudi insider-turned-critic, was strangled and his body cut into pieces by a 15-man Saudi squad inside the consulate, according to Turkish officials.

His remains have never been found.

The CIA, UN special envoy Agnes Callamard and Turkey have directly linked Crown Prince Mohammed to the killing, a charge the kingdom vehemently denies.

raz/fo/jxb

© Agence France-Presse

/AFP

Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Local nurse says it is ‘sad, really sad to know’ that frontliners like himself are being blamed for the current Covid-19 outbreak

Singapore -- A local nurse took to social media with a heartbreaking tweet about frontline healthcare workers like himself being blamed for Covid-19 now after being cheered as heroes when the pandemic began last year. In a tweet which has since been...

Netizens upset with ST’s piece on people’s behaviour and Covid measures

Singapore—An article entitled “Behaviour of people holds key to success of Singapore's tighter Covid-19 measures” written by the Senior Heath Correspondent of The Straits Times has been met with unhappy reactions from netizens.   Ms Salma Khalik, whose piece was published on...

‘Stop the double standards,’ says PAB rider after seeing LTA officers let off an errant rider

Singapore – “PAB (power-assisted bicycle) rider doing food delivery? You’d better just dress like you look like an Aunty because LTA (Land Transport Authority) will not issue you a ticket,” said a member of the public after witnessing the authorities let...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent