Home News Featured News Over 40 vulnerable young girls at shelter in India repeatedly raped by...

Over 40 vulnerable young girls at shelter in India repeatedly raped by shelter-owner

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

A shelter for vulnerable girls in Bihar, India has garnered media attention after police arrested the shelter-owner for repeatedly raping almost 40 his residents. The girls, between the ages of 7 and 14, said that they were tortured, starved, injected with drugs, and raped almost every night.

The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POSCO) court heard that, “as soon as the sun set, the girls will be scared. The nights were full of terror.” The girls in referring to him as ‘hunterwala’ (predator) said that they used to shiver with fear whenever he entered their rooms.

“He (the shelter owner) used to beat us with a stick when we disobeyed him,” said one girl.

A 10-year-old girl said that she was often drugged before being raped. She would wake up with pain and injury marks on her private parts. “When I tried to resist (the rape), I was beaten up and made to starve for 3-days,” she said. She eventually not only had to surrender to the shelter owner’s perverse wish, but also had to apologize to him for spurning his advances.

- Advertisement -

Another girl said, “sedatives were mixed in my food due to which I used to feel dizzy. I was asked by the aunties to sleep in Brajesh sir’s (shelter owner’s) room. I used to find my pant thrown on the floor when I woke up in the morning.”

Yet another victim said, “Brajesh used to take me to his office and scratch my private parts. He scratched it so badly that there are cut marks in my private parts.”

The girls were forced to sleep naked in the shelter at night. The girls privately spat at his photo in disgust. One victim even etched the name of her brother in her arm as a sign of protest.

Reports say that a girl who dared to stand up to the oppressors was mercilessly beaten to death and her body disposed off in a rickshaw.

Neighbors said they used to hear the deafening screams of the girls, but fearing the shelter owner, no one raised the alarm. The shelter owner is a known gang leader in that area.

Brajesh Thakur is the owner of the non-government organization (NGO) which operated the shelter in which the 40 girls were raped. Allegations are rife that his atrocities did not come to light sooner as he was pally with state legislators. Thakur along with 10 of his men were held after a police report was made on May 31. Reports of repeated sexual abuse of the girls in the shelters only surfaced after Mumbai’s Tata Institute of Social Science carried out a social audit of shelter homes across Bihar last year. A district Child Welfare Committee official was also in cahoots with Thakur in the heinous act.

Thakur owns a premise with three buildings that had employee residences, a printing press, the family home besides the now infamous shelter. According to the police, Thakur earned over $350,000 per month from running the shelters for girls.

The rape of the over 40 young girls which had remained hidden despite many in the vicinity knowing about their ordeal has shocked the country.

Please follow and like us:
Tweet
Share
No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

SDP labels MediShield Life “too complicated”, opposes any premium hike

Singapore -- The opposition Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has criticised the MediShield Life scheme and has opposed an impending premium hike recommended by a council convened to review the mandatory national health insurance scheme. In a statement released on Wednesday (Oct 21),...

Ho Ching slips to 20th spot in Fortune’s “Most Powerful Women International” list

Fortune magazine has ranked Singapore sovereign wealth fund Temasek's CEO Ho Ching as the 20th most powerful woman outside the United States in its 2020 "Most Powerful Women International" rankings. The American multinational business publication noted that Ms Ho "has a bigger...

Covid-19 vaccination likely to begin in Singapore next year: A/Prof Kenneth Mak

Singapore -- The Ministry of Health's (MOH) Director of Medical Services, Associate Professor Kenneth Mak, has announced that Covid-19 vaccination will most likely be rolled out in Singapore from 2021. Speaking at a virtual press conference on Tuesday (Oct 20), A/Prof Mak...
Please follow and like us:
Tweet
Share
No tags for this post.
close

Like and follow us

Follow Me
Tweet