Home News Number of injured in MRT collision rises to 38 as part of...

Number of injured in MRT collision rises to 38 as part of Tuas West Extension resumes service

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

The total number of those injured in last week’s MRT collision at Joo Koon has jumped to 38 after two more individuals sought treatment at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, according to the Land Transport Authority.

SMRT’s Senior Vice President of Rail Operations on the North-South and East-West Lines (NSEWL), Alvin Kek revealed at a joint press conference with the LTA that SMRT has a compensation process in place for events like the MRT collision.

He added that commuters who had suffered injuries during the collision but did not seek medical assistance at the time may approach the duty officers at any MRT station for help.

Meanwhile, train services along four stations – between Joo Koon and Tuas West Link – of the Tuas West Extension has resumed today after it was closed down for further investigations following the collision.

- Advertisement -

Train services between Joo Koon and Gul Circle, however, are still not available as engineers conduct further checks for one month. Bus bridging services between these stations are available.

LTA and SMRT decided to isolate services on the Tuas West Extension last week after initial investigations revealed that the software glitch that caused the two trains to collide arose because one of the trains was “transiting between the old and new signalling systems.”

The LTA said then:

“Given this finding, LTA and SMRT have decided to isolate for up to one month the operations of the Tuas West Extension, which runs on the new signalling system, from the rest of the East-West Line, which runs on the old signalling system. This will enable our engineers to carry out further assurance checks together with Thales.”

In a separate statement, Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan had said that he was “disturbed” that a “critical safety software could be disabled by a defective trackside device.”

Asserting that the link between the Tuas West Extension and the rest of the East-West Line should not be resumed until this issue has been fully addressed, the Minister added:

“I have told the team to keep separating the two sections of EWL, if need be until the entire EWL is ready to run on the new signalling system,” he said. “This way we avoid having trains transiting from one signalling system to another with its attendant safety risk.”

https://theindependent.sg.sg/total-number-of-injured-in-joo-koon-train-collision-rises-to-36/

https://theindependent.sg.sg/breaking-tuas-west-link-extension-isolated-for-one-month-as-more-details-of-train-collision-emerge/

 Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Couple arrested in S’pore for suspected involvement in baby dumping case

Singapore – A man and a woman, both 25 years old, were arrested by the police for allegedly dumping the body of a newborn in Taiwan in 2019. The police confirmed that the pair were taken into custody on Apr 28 following...

Leong Mun Wai rudely shut down by DPM Heng and Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin

Singapore -- Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat and Speaker of Parliament Tan Chuan-Jin rudely cut short Non-Constituency MP Leong Mun Wai's questions during the debate on the Significant Infrastructure Government Loan Act (Singa) Bill on Monday (May 10). Mr Leong noted...

How did Singapore grow?

Call it a series of coincidences but my maternal granduncle passed away. While the timing was not something he planned, his death took place a day or two after Singapore Press Holding’s (SPH) CEO, Mr Ng Yat Chung, gave his now...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
Theindependent