Home News Featured News North Korea shot US plane in 1969 sparking possible nuke attack from...

North Korea shot US plane in 1969 sparking possible nuke attack from US

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

In 1969, President Richard Nixon considered tactical nuclear strikes after North Korea shot down a U.S. reconnaissance plane, according to documents declassified in 2010 and published by the National Security Archive, wrote Bloomberg today.

After North Korean fighter jets shot down an American spy plane, then, President Nixon and his national security adviser, Henry Kissinger, considered a range of military responses, up to the possible use of nuclear weapons, according to newly disclosed documents, said NPR org.

Thus, if the North Koreans were to shoot a US aircraft in the near future, it would not be the first time it would happen.

B-1B Lancer bombers, based in Guam, and F-15C Eagle fighter escorts from Okinawa, Japan, traveled the farthest north of the demilitarized zone any U.S. fighter or bomber aircraft have flown off North Korea’s coast this century, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said last week in an emailed statement.

- Advertisement -

On 26 March 2010, the North Koreans torpedoed the Cheonan which sank, killing 46 sailors. The Cheonan was a South Korean naval ship.

While Seoul said Pyongyang torpedoed the ship, North Korea rejected the accusations refusing to apologize for the attack.

On the other hand, the US has dismissed a statement by North Korea accusing Washington of declaring war on the country, calling the idea “absurd”.

The White House also warned Pyongyang to stop provocations after it said it had the right to shoot down US bombers, while a UN spokesman said such fiery talks could lead to fatal misunderstandings.

Please follow and like us:
Tweet
Share
No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

K Shanmugam: In Singapore, the right to speak freely goes with the duty to act responsibly

Singapore—Speaking at the 16th Religious Rehabilitation Group Seminar at Khadijah Mosque on Monday (Nov 24), K Shanmugam, the Minister for Law and Home Affairs, said that the threat of terrorism has not gone away though its “shape and nature” have changed. Citing...

Parliament receives 61 NMP proposal forms from the general public, groups

The Office of the Clerk of Parliament said yesterday (24 Nov) that Parliament has received 61 Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) proposal forms. This is higher than the 48, 41 and 36 proposal forms that Parliament received in 2018, 2016 and...

No state acknowledgement for former President Yusof Ishak on his 50th death anniversary

Although 23 November 2020 marked half a century since Singapore's first President Yusof Ishak passed away, there was no state acknowledgement to commemorate the former President's 50th death anniversary. Neither current President Halimah Yacob, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong nor any other...
Please follow and like us:
Tweet
Share
No tags for this post.
Follow Me
Tweet