Home News Man who took upskirt video of woman at Toa Payoh MRT nabbed...

Man who took upskirt video of woman at Toa Payoh MRT nabbed by four strangers

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

Four middle-aged man held down a man accused of taking upskirt pictures at Toa Payoh Central at 2.25pm on Wednesday (16 Nov). The suspect was accused of taking upskirt pictures of a woman in her 20s who was going up on an escalator at Exit C of Toa Payoh MRT station.

When the woman saw what the man was doing she shouted, causing the man to run. That was when the four men gave chase after the suspect and pinned him down. The woman arrived soon after.

The suspect, a 43-year-old man begged to be released but the men pinned him down for 10 minutes until the police arrived.  Police investigations are ongoing.

The incident which happened last Wednesday is eerily similar to an incident which happened at the same MRT station in July last year where another man suspected of taking upskirt photos of women in Toa Payoh was apprehended – by members of the public.

- Advertisement -

All Singapore Stuff, which published the news last year, said 3 middle-aged men pinned down a pervert who was caught taking upskirt photographs of women on an escalator at Toa Payoh Central.

There has been several cases of men found guilty of surreptitiously taking upskirt photos or videos of women being reported this year. Such offences are classified under the offence of “insulting a woman’s modesty”.

Ms Jolene Tan, programmes and communications senior manager at the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE), in speaking about such behaviour in 2015, described the offence as sexual violence.

“What attracts perpetrators is clearly the idea of women’s and girls’ non-consent and humiliation – they treat female bodies as trophies to be acquired, then circulated to boost their standing among other misogynists,” she said, referring to some online platforms which encourage and allow such photos and videos to be posted.

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

JTC issues stop-work order on contractor that ‘erroneously’ cleared Kranji woodlands

Singapore – The contractor that “erroneously” cleared a forested area at Kranji has announced it has been issued a stop-work order by JTC and is assisting the developer with investigations on the issue. On Feb 16, state-owned industrial property developer JTC responded...

Clementi, Dover, Kranji: Singapore’s grand conservation plan is to plant trees and destroy forests

Yes, we love to plant trees. Since Lee Kuan Yew started the whole ritual, at least 10,000 saplings are planted every year since 1963 as part of the Tree Planting campaign. Impressive indeed. Singapore Clean and Green. At the same time,...

Ex-UOB vice-president charged with mishandling over S$5.4 million

Singapore—Sixty-five-year-old Ling Shek Lun, who used to be a  vice-president at UOB, has been charged with mishandling millions of dollars, reported straitstimes.com (ST) on Friday (Feb 19). Ling, a Singaporean who was charged in district court on Feb 10, faces two charges...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent