Home News Man sentenced for sex assault on boy found unfit for caning

Man sentenced for sex assault on boy found unfit for caning

The man was certified as unfit for caning because of a "previous lumbar spine fracture" and "multilevel degenerative disc disease" and was also appealing to the court for a mattress for his back

Author

Date

Category

- Advertisement -

A man who was sentenced to 14 years’ jail and 24 strokes of the cane for sexually assaulting a boy during a Halloween sleepover in 2015 has been found to be unfit for caning.

The man appeared in court on Tuesday (October 22), where he was certified as unfit for caning because of a “previous lumbar spine fracture” and “multilevel degenerative disc disease”.

The man arrived in court in a wheelchair.

The father of three also had a spinal injury and a related neck injury, which he wore a neck brace for.

- Advertisement -

The man had molested a nine-year-old boy, who was sleeping over at his home on October 31, 2015 after a Halloween party.

He claimed that the victim could have been hallucinating after eating Halloween candy and had been “sexualised from a young age in his school environment”.

The man has another five pending charges in the State Courts relating to another eight-year-old boy, whom he is accused of committing sex-related offences on.

Justice See Kee Oon said that, “Essentially the main point that is disputed is whether he needs a mattress”, a CNA article reported.

The man’s defence counsel said that a medical report from Changi General Hospital will be helpful in ascertaining whether he needed a mattress. However, the prosecution rebutted saying that the report “may be helpful but it is not absolutely necessary”.

Both sides are to return to court on Nov 28.

The foreign executive had been found guilty of two charges of sexual assault and one charge of aggravated outrage of modesty. -/TISG

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

JTC issues stop-work order on contractor that ‘erroneously’ cleared Kranji woodlands

Singapore – The contractor that “erroneously” cleared a forested area at Kranji has announced it has been issued a stop-work order by JTC and is assisting the developer with investigations on the issue. On Feb 16, state-owned industrial property developer JTC responded...

Clementi, Dover, Kranji: Singapore’s grand conservation plan is to plant trees and destroy forests

Yes, we love to plant trees. Since Lee Kuan Yew started the whole ritual, at least 10,000 saplings are planted every year since 1963 as part of the Tree Planting campaign. Impressive indeed. Singapore Clean and Green. At the same time,...

Ex-UOB vice-president charged with mishandling over S$5.4 million

Singapore—Sixty-five-year-old Ling Shek Lun, who used to be a  vice-president at UOB, has been charged with mishandling millions of dollars, reported straitstimes.com (ST) on Friday (Feb 19). Ling, a Singaporean who was charged in district court on Feb 10, faces two charges...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

Theindependent