Home News Featured News Mahathir pushes for Malaysia's national car against all odds

Mahathir pushes for Malaysia’s national car against all odds

- Advertisement -

Almost every newspaper and blogs have demonstrated that Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is wrong in pushing for a third national car after the Proton fiasco.

But the good doctor is not paying attention to criticism, instead, he is going forward with the idea and has decided to launch the third national car project by 2020.

Leaning on the Japanese experience – where Dr M is set to spend a few days there as from this week – the old fox said in one of his blog post that his deal about another national car is exactly about building from scratch.

He said at the time the first Japanese car came out on the roads in Malaysia, people were saying if you scratch the paint, you will see the tin box. It was so frail, indeed, that it did not get the approval of the public at the beginning.

- Advertisement 1-

But in the end, it is Japanese cars that are dominant on the roads in Southeast Asia, he hinted.

In his usual cynism, Dr M also said this success will not be seen in Malaysia. “We will continue to make milo tin cars.”

He also said the project is bound to fail because too many people are against the idea, but then, he added that Japan and Korea have their own cars made for the public and by private companies, not by a government-linked or a government agency.

“Japan has their own cars and Koreans too, and that is because they forbid foreign car imports,” he wrote, hinting at the need to control the import of cars perhaps, into Malaysia.

He attributed Proton’s failure to the import of cars, even made of milo tins, that has ravaged the market share of Proton. In the end, the national car died out after it was sold to a foreign entity, he wrote.

The Chinese desperately bought over 49% of Proton under the Najib Razak’s reign while Najib was also desperate to kill Dr Mahathir’s legacy in his rage against the old man.

- Advertisement 2-

But now, Dr Mahathir is hitting back hard.

The government believes that the project could revitalise the national automotive industry, said a Minister according to Bernama.

The PM is banking on the export potential for a new car from Malaysia, given that Proton is still in a decomposition stage and is not ready to compete against the big boys in the local market itself.

Dr Mahathir has already instilled the need for a successful car project in Malaysia and has decided that Putrajaya will have to work with stakeholders from Japan, Korea and Asean partners to revive Malaysia’s ailing automotive and car making industry.Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Read More

It’s not just OCBC and Singapore, scammers are ripping off people across Asia

Singapore —  The phishing scams that burst into media headlines in Singapore last month  have also swept through other countries in Asia.  People in Hong Kong, Malaysia, India, the Philippines, and elsewhere have also lost millions of dollars to similar...

Morning Digest, Jan 28

Confinement nanny investigated for alleged abuse of month-old baby Singapore — The police were called to investigate after the parents of a month-old baby found...

Stories you might’ve missed, Jan 27

Flyers offering S$20 FairPrice voucher with QR code not endorsed by NTUC FairPrice: Company warns public Photo: FB screengrab/NTUC FairPrice Singapore — Members of the public...

Confinement nanny investigated for alleged abuse of month-old baby

Singapore -- The police were called to investigate after the parents of a month-old baby found their confinement nanny abusing the child. The baby's father, ...

Jamus Lim urges re-think of GST hike, says it could ‘shock’ the economy

Singapore — Workers’ Party MP  Jamus Lim recently tackled inflation, cost-of-living issues, and the upcoming GST (Goods and Services Tax) hike.  The Sengkang GRC MP,...

It’s not just OCBC and Singapore, scammers are ripping off people across Asia

Singapore —  The phishing scams that burst into media headlines in Singapore last month  have also swept through other...

Morning Digest, Jan 28

Confinement nanny investigated for alleged abuse of month-old baby Singapore — The police were called to investigate after the parents...

Stories you might’ve missed, Jan 27

Flyers offering S$20 FairPrice voucher with QR code not endorsed by NTUC FairPrice: Company warns public Photo: FB screengrab/NTUC FairPrice Singapore...

Confinement nanny investigated for alleged abuse of month-old baby

Singapore -- The police were called to investigate after the parents of a month-old baby found their confinement nanny...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg