Home News Elderly man died from fire which broke out in Hillview yesterday -...

Elderly man died from fire which broke out in Hillview yesterday – Wife still in ICU




- Advertisement -

Police have confirmed that 68-year-old Alvin Ng Swee Seng has died from the fire that broke out on the seventh floor at Hillview Green condominium on Saturday morning (Apr 30).
The fire started at around 5.35 am at 69 Hume Avenue. The Singapore Civil Defence Force said that it rescued seven occupants who where trapped in the bedroom of the flat that was ablaze. Three others had made their way out of the unit before SCDF arrived. Nine of them were sent to the hospital.
Of the nine, Mr Ng and his wife Madam Moreen Soh, 69, sustained burn injuries. Madam Soh remains in intensive care unit.
Mr Ng’s son, 29-year-old Timothy clambered down from the balcony to the unit below and got a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. That was when his parents dashed out of the door through flames and thick smoke.
Mr Timothy Ng told Shin Min Daily that his father, a retired businessman, suffered from heart problems. The huge fire destroyed much of the flat. SCDF said that it is investigating the cause of the fire.

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg 

- Advertisement -

Man attacks teen, calls him a virus, damages his phone

Singapore—A sudden attack took a teen by surprise when one man started yelling at him, physically harming him, and throwing his phone into a nearby drain at around 10.30pm on Tuesday (Feb 23) on a section of the road near the...

3 migrant workers die after 10 injured in Tuas industrial building blast

Singapore – Three of the 10 workers injured in an explosion at an industrial building in Tuas on Wednesday (Feb 24) died on Thursday. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to a fire at No. 32E Tuas Avenue 11 at around...

Film producer says Myanmar maid called her family, wanting to go home, two weeks before she died

A video producer who visited the family of Piang Ngaih Don, the Myanmar maid beaten and starved to death by her employers in 2016, says Ms Piang somehow managed to call her family just two weeks before she died. She told...

Send in your scoop to news@theindependent.sg