The New Paper reported today (2 Sep) that a 9-month-old baby sustained second-degree burns after its carer rinsed its buttocks with hot water dispensed from a tank. The incident happened yesterday (Sep 1) at the Learning Vision branch located at Woodlands Drive 44, and the baby may require plastic surgery..
The director of the childcare centre franchise, Mr Ronald Kwong, did not respond to question of if the carer was trained and certified. The nationality of the carer is also unknown. Mr Kwong however alluded to the possibility that the carer might have been a relief staff and that she received additional help from another carer. He further said that the childcare centre was reviewing its Standard Operating Procedures.
Police are investigating the incident. The parents of the baby refused to speak to members of the media, as they have engaged a lawyer to seek compensation.
Mr Kwong said: “We want to express our heart-felt apologies to the parents of the infant who was scalded at the Learning Vision childcare centre. We take full responsibility for the incident.”
Facebook user Tricia Wong who responded to TNP’s publication of the story in its Facebook said: “This is not carelessness. This is care-lessness. I am sure the carer would have tested the water temperature if she is taking a bath. So why can’t she apply the same knowledge on the infant? What if now the hot water was sprayed onto the baby’s face?” Several other users echoed Tricia’s sentiments.Follow us on Social Media
Send in your scoops to firstname.lastname@example.orgNo tags for this post.