The Housing & Development Board (HDB) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) will raise public car park charges for short-term and season parking schemes, with effect from 1 December 2016.
HDB and URA said the increases were necessary because the last island-wide revision of car parking charges by HDB and URA was done 14 years ago in 2002, and over this period, the costs of building, operating and managing car parks have increased due to general inflation, as well as construction, manpower and other related maintenance costs. “Car park charges have not kept pace with these cost increases. Therefore revisions are needed to ensure proper cost recovery,” it said.
Revised parking charges
From 1 December 2016, short-term parking charges for public car parks in Singapore will be adjusted as follows:
- Outside of the Restricted Zone/Designated Area (RZ/DA) – the parking charge will be raised by $0.10, from $0.50 to $0.60 per half-hour;
- Within the RZ/DA – the parking charge will be raised by $0.20, from $1.00 to $1.20 per half-hour.
- Differential charging on a per-minute basis will continue to apply for selected EPS car parks in locations with high demand.
Season parking – Differentiated Charges; Priority for residents’ first car
Season parking rates in HDB car parks will be raised, but HDB will differentiate the charges. Residents who buy season parking for their first car will pay a lower rate than those who require more than one parking lot or non-residents who use HDB carparks. The details are as follows:
- For non-residents and residents’ second and subsequent parking lot, the full rate for season parking will be $90 per month for surface car parks (a $25 increase), and $120 per month for sheltered car parks (a $30 increase).
- For residents’ first parking lot, the parking charge will see a smaller increase of $15 for surface car parks (from $65 to $80 per month), and $20 for sheltered car parks (from $90 to $110 per month).
- Family Season Parking Ticket holders currently enjoy a concessionary rate of half of the season parking rate. They will continue to do so and will pay half of the residents’ first car season parking rate, i.e. $40 per month for surface car parks and $55 per month for sheltered car parks.
Parking charges for motorcycles to remain
There will be no revision to the parking charges for motorcycles as they were revised when per-minute charging and Concessionary Season Parking Ticket for motorcycles were introduced in July 2014 and January 2015 respectively.
Sale of new parking coupons
Starting from 1 December 2016, motorists using public car parks will have to use new coupons with the revised rates. The new coupons will be available for sale at HDB Branches/Service Centres, the URA Centre and coupon agents (e.g. all petrol stations, 7-11 outlets etc) from early October 2016.
Exchange of unused parking coupons
Motorists can exchange their unused old parking coupons for new ones from early October 2016 onwards, by topping up the difference in value.Follow us on Social Media
Send in your scoops to email@example.com