Home News 70-year-old self immolates because he lost his job

70-year-old self immolates because he lost his job




- Advertisement -

The State Coroner on Thursday (Oct 27) ruled that a 70-year-old man who set himself on fire in a carpark at the junction of Geylang Lor 19 and Lorong Bachok last night (1 June) at around 10pm, did so to end his own life as he was distressed about losing his job.

Eyewitnesses speaking to the media at that time said that he stood next to a taxi and poured a flammable liquid on himself and set himself on fire. They also said that there was a loud explosion soon after the man set himself on fire and that the fire shot up very high. Passers-by eventually put out the fire using a fire extinguisher from a nearby coffee shop, after the man had been burning for about 4 minutes.

The man’s arms were outstretched as he was burning and he was shouting “Ahhhh!!!!”, witnesses said. His clothes and hair were all burnt out by the fire. Ambulance arrived in about 10 minutes after the incident.

The man suffered severe third-degree burns and eventually died from his injuries. The man was a known figure in that area, and that he plays Chinese chess nearby often. It was reportedly paid $1000 monthly. Others who claimed to know him said that the old man was supposed to turn up for work that day but did not. He reportedly went around thanking his friends who had loaned him money before setting himself on fire.

- Advertisement -

The State Coroner identified the elderly man as Tan Woon Teck and established that he was fired as an assistant at a coffee shop three weeks earlier for an alleged assault of a female colleague. Being terminated from employment was a “major reversal” in his life that “evidently weighed heavily on him” said State Coroner Marvin Bay.

Mr Bay said that the 70-year-old’s medical history and criminal record suggested that he was prone to “contemplate extreme measures to express his mounting grievance and despair from the travails and vicissitudes of his life.”

The Coroner revealed that the Mr Tan had attempted suicide once before in 1976, when he was referred to Changi Prison Hospital and was diagnosed with depression. In 1986, he was charged with rape and again found to be depressed. The outcome of this case was not revealed in court. In 1989 however, a psychiatric assessment recorded improvements in Tan’s sleep and mental state.

The State Coroner ruled out foul play in the incident.

The death of the 70-year-old is the second known case of Singaporeans self-immolating. In April 2014, a 42-year-old man died after setting himself on fire when he was refused petrol at a kiosk in Johor Baru.Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.
- Advertisement -

Covid-19 vaccine side effect fever, fatigue, arm pain can be a good sign

CNN – Doctors revealed that individuals who experience side effects including fever, fatigue and arm pain after receiving the Covid-19 vaccine should not panic as this could mean that the immune system is reacting as intended. Side effects from Covid-19 vaccines won't...

Motorcyclist chases cyclist weaving through traffic without helmet and wearing earbuds

Singapore – Having seen a cyclist riding dangerously without the proper protective equipment and weaving through cars, a motorcyclist took it upon himself to remind the rider of road safety practices. Facebook page ROADS.sg posted a video of the incident on Saturday...

Was Heng Swee Keat ousted?

For a development which should not have been a surprise, DPM Heng Swee Keat’s decision to step aside as the 4G leader to become the next Prime Minister had many observers working overtime with their analyses. “Why did he do it?...
Follow us on Social Media

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg 

No tags for this post.