Samsung Singapore explains why its washing machine burst into flames in Bukit Panjang

5739
picture credit: Zaobao
 

We earlier reported that a Samsung washing machine burst into flames at a flat in Block 469 Segar Road in the Bukit Panjang area. The incident happened yesterday (9 Nov) at about 12pm. A resident of the flat in which the incident happened, Mr Rafiq (51) said that his 16-year-old daughter who was using the machine fortunately escaped being harmed by the burning machine. Besides his 16-year-old daughter, his wife (42) and another 11-year-old daughter were also in the flat when the machine burned.

The following is a letter from Samsung Singapore explaining the likely cause why the machine burned.


We refer to the story titled Family escaped injuries from Samsung washing machine which burst into flamespublished in The Independent on 10 November 2016.

Samsung has completed the investigation into the incident involving our washing machine. Based on the available information, the cause of the incident is likely due to moisture from the bathroom where the washing machine was placed, which may have resulted in a electrical short circuit to the washing machine.

Consumers are reminded on some of the safety recommendations for washing machine use.

  • Do not install the washing machine in an area exposed to moisture or weather, or in an area which may be prone to water leaks. In the event of a water leak, allow the machine to dry naturally.
  • Do not operate the washing machine if the power supply cord is wet.
  • When cleaning the washing machine, do not spray water directly onto the washing machine and its parts.
  • Avoid exposing the washing machine to direct flame.
  • Do not use multiple appliances attached to the same outlet, as it may cause a power surge.
  • If the power supply cord is damaged, please contact the manufacturer.