Singapore— On June 29, Saturday, a statement from the country’s Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) that began with, “National Service (NS) is the bedrock of Singapore’s defence and the cornerstone of Singapore’s prosperity and progress…” announced discounts for the country’s national servicemen from July 1, through August 31, at different shops, eateries, and hawker stalls.
This is part of the “We Support NS” campaign that was launched by the ACCORD Family and Community Council. Several campaigns were introduced in the past to honour and support the country’s fighting forces, as well as to recognise their contributions to society, including 2013’s ‘SAF Day Recognition Campaign’, and the ‘We Support YOU in NS two years later.
ACCORD stands for the Advisory Council on Community Relations in Defence.
The recently released MINDEF statement for this year’s campaign reads:
“This year, the ACCORD Family and Community Council have brought both campaigns together to create the ‘We Support NS’ campaign, to bring a more comprehensive selection of discounts and benefits to NSmen across both the SAF and Home Team. ACCORD is also working with partners such as SAFRA, People’s Association (PA) and HomeTeamNS (HTNS) to introduce new discounts and promotions, as well as billboard displays to recognise NSmen. PA will also be putting up banners, posters, and billboards in public spaces such as Community Centres and Residents’ Committees to show their support for NSmen and their contributions.”
NSMen will be given discounts and promotions from participating merchants from malls and hawker centres starting on July 1, which is SAF (Singapore Armed Forces) Day and will last until August 31, 2019.
All past and present National Servicemen from the SAF and Home Team may avail of these promotions.
Participating establishments will have a “We Support NS” decal displayed in their premises.
All NSMen need to do is to present their SAF Identity Card (commonly known as 11B), or simply wear their uniforms.
A wide variety of establishments are participating in the “We Support NS” campaign, including the following:
- LEVI’S® jeans and apparel: 50 percent off Levi’s® Jeans, and 40 percent off Levi’s® Tops, with minimum 2 pieces purchase
- D’ Authentic Nasi Lemak: Free Otah (worth $1.50) with a minimum purchase of $5.50
- Firefly Photography Pte Ltd: 10 percent off all photography services and free 4R instant printouts with min spend $100
- HP Inc: Up to 43 percent off Selected Notebooks and Printers
- Ramen Champion: 10 percent OFF with a minimum purchase of $30
- Apollo Fresh Cockle Fried Kway Teow (Marine Parade): 50 cents off purchases
- Blossom Garden @ HomeTeamNS Bukit Batok: 15 percent off ala-carte food orders
- Bounce: 25 percent off General Admission (maximum of 2 tickets per booking)
- Crumpler: $25 off regular-priced items (minimum purchase of $100)
- Fragrance Foodstuff Pte Ltd: a) 25 percent off Signature Tender Sliced Bak Kwa at all stores (Except Changi Airport Stores), and b) Combo Set: Any 2 Salted Egg snacks for $10
- Kallang Ice World: 50 percent OFF Entrance Fee for each serviceman
Key Power Sports: 20 percent off regular-priced items in stores or online
- Poh Cheu Soon Keuh & Ang Ku Kueh @ PKT Coffee Shop: 10% discount for purchases $20 and above (exclude Abacus, Glutinous Rice and Yam Cakes)
The full list of participating establishments as well as their promotions can be found here www.mindef.gov.sg/WeSupportNS./ TISG